flyerboyek

Computer Systems Airlines Use

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:09 am

Hello,

What sort of computer software do you see the CSRs constantly typing away at the airport with? I know UA uses a Graphical User Interface type program, and from watching Airline I believe WN uses a text-based system. Does anyone know the names of these programs and how exactly they work?

EK

P.S. Did a search and couldn't find anything on this. As always, my apologies if this has been discussed before. I am a newbie on this forum :-P

beowulf

RE: Computer Systems Airlines Use

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:24 pm

Hello,

I hope someone will fill in my gaps. The CRS were developed by airlines or groups of airlines. Popular ones are SABRE, WOLDSPAN, GALILEO and AMADEUS.

These links give a nice overview [hint: Google is your friend!!]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_reservations_system
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/55xx/doc5541/doc02b-Part_4.pdf

All of the aforementioned ones are text-based systems and you need to learn certain commands to do something with them. However, in recenet years front-ends appeared to make them easier to use. Guide-Res for instance uses a combination of mouse and keyboard commands, and the latest generation is more graphical I guess.

As far as I understand the CRS are not an operating system but rather a software running on a system.

Nick

Nick

flyerboyek

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:08 pm

I believe these systems are special -- I.E. checking in Pax, upgrades, baggage tags, frequent flyer miles.

I could be wrong however.

My question: are these systems used at the airports different than the standard GDS/CRS?

Thanks Nick for your input!

Blue Skies,
EK

beowulf

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:13 am

Quoting FlyerBoyEK (Reply 2):
I believe these systems are special -- I.E. checking in Pax, upgrades, baggage tags, frequent flyer miles.

I could be wrong however.

My question: are these systems used at the airports different than the standard GDS/CRS?

Maybe I misunderstood you or you didn't ask precisely enough  Wink. The systems for checking in PAX are propietary systems by airlines which are, however, shared among some airlines. There are graphical front ends for them and most are still text based. However, there is a link to the CRS in order to access the actual booking.

Nick

flyerboyek

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:08 am

Thanks Nick--I was thinking that might have been the case. If anyone has the actual names of the systems that different airlines use (the proprietary ones), that would be awesome!

Thanks!!

EK

erj-145mech

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:55 am

Continental uses a program called "Sonic" for passenger check in, etc, which I think is one step up from key punch.

For maintenance tracking, CO uses a program called "Metafile" for scheduling inspections and specific task cards.

TIMC

Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:23 am

Quoting Erj-145mech (Reply 5):
Continental uses a program called "Sonic" for passenger check in, etc, which I think is one step up from key punch.

For maintenance tracking, CO uses a program called "Metafile" for scheduling inspections and specific task cards.

Is that just at mainline Continental airports, such as EWR, or everywhere CO operates from?

I sometimes work on CO flights, I'll have a look and see what it is next time I'm there.

erj-145mech

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:14 am

Its system wide, as far as I know.

DeltaGuy

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:15 pm

I know American uses Sabre

Delta has alot of stuff they developed in-house through Delta Technologies, they're quite the innovative group. Pretty good software through DeltaNet, eCrew, TravelNet, etc etc.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

soundsfishy

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:06 am

Nick has it mostly right ... at this point, very few carriers are developing or maintaining their own proprietary systems. Most of the systems originated internally but have since been sold off (like American did with Sabre). Today, many carriers use components from several vendors to fulfill different parts of their operations (dispatch, checkin, maintenance, weight/balance, reaccommodation, inventory, revenue management, etc.).

Sabre, Amadeus, and Worldspan are all in this business as well as their traditional travel distribution business (via agents) and have developed easy (or at least easier) to use graphical front-ends, but there are a bunch of smaller providers that sell a suite of services as well as graphical front-ends to the legacy systems.

As DeltaGuy mentions, Delta still has a lot of internal development on Deltamatic (their platform) which shares infrastructure with Worldspan, IIRC. Northwest is fully hosted in Worldspan as well. American and US Airways are in Sabre, while Continental and America West are in Shares, and United is in Apollo.