DLKAPA
Topic Author

Class Project: Starting A Business

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:05 am

And my preferred business is naturally, an airline. So I'm asking the experts here a few quick questions. Firstly, what does one do at the very beginning? Do they get investors first or would they start out with the legal proceedings like getting an operating certificate?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Fokker Lover

RE: Class Project: Starting A Business

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:56 am

The world revolves around cash. You're not going to do ANYTHING without cash first. Then you can start thinking about the details.
Since your school project is starting an airline to make millions of dollars, you will need to start off with billions.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

LMP737

Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:59 am

Someone once said if you want to become a millionaire start off with a billion dollars then start your own airline. Might have been Richard Branson but I'm not sure.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Jetlagged

Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:33 am

You can start with one wet leased aircraft and a single route. A British schoolboy is doing just that having written a business plan for an airline as part of a school project. The banks liked it so much he's now doing it for real. So you never know  Smile

Here's a link to the story

http://business.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=391&id=1647552005
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

ShyFlyer

Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:26 am

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 1):
You're not going to do ANYTHING without cash first.

While cash is important, a solid business plan is required before you can even think about approaching potential investors.

Your business plan should spell out who your targeted customers are and how you plan to go about attracting them. Other aspects of your operation (location, initial size, etc) would also be covered. You would also include regulatory issues (operating certificate) in your plan, and how you will comply with them.
I lift things up and put them down.

B744F

Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:01 am

IF you want to make the most money, if that is the point of your class, I'd suggest some other business type. How about an investment firm or a fast food restaurant

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks guys I appreciate it.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same