airmech

Jetblue Nose Gear Pics

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:16 am

Here are some pics of the Jetblue nose gear

IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/jonned/P1010018.jpg[/IMG]

BR715-A1-30

RE: Jetblue Nose Gear Pics

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:55 am

looks like they are just gonna repair it instead of replacing it. probably fabricate it, and put a new wheel, test and check it, and release it for service
Puhdiddle

OPNLguy

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:23 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 1):
looks like they are just gonna repair it instead of replacing it. probably fabricate it, and put a new wheel, test and check it, and release it for service

I'm certainly not an AMT (nor do I play one on TV) but given the amount of metal shown in these photos as having been abraded away by contact with the runway, methinks they'd indeed be replacing stuff versus repairing or fabricating anything...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

LMP737

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:50 am

At the very least they will replace the shock strut with a new one. Maybe even the nose gear itself. Hopefully someone with some A320 and or heavy maintenance experience can give us some more info.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

aogdesk

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:56 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 2):
I'm certainly not an AMT (nor do I play one on TV)

But I'm guessing that you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night??  Smile

fr8mech

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:59 am

My guess is a lower strut replacement after checking the trunnion for endplay. Really not that big a deal.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

airmech

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:42 am

My guess, the nose strut assy replaced along with the lock strut. Inspect and/or NDT the attach points. Inspect and/or NDT the keelson beam or major support assembly. Inspect engines for FOD and inspect belly of fuselage for damage. Repair as required.

qualifications: AMT but never worked a Airbus.

OPNLguy

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:47 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 4):

But I'm guessing that you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night??

Nah, not even that, just some plain ordinary common sense....  Wink
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jimpop

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:09 am

Question One: In the pics above, what is supporting the load? Is it the jack or the single tire (or is it a combination of both?).

Question Two: What is the approx weight being supported by tire/jack?

Question Three: Is the tire in the above pics a replacement or the same tire from the landing?

Thanks.

airmech

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:13 am

The jack is supporting the load. The tire in the picture was installed to move the aircraft off the runway. Note the angle the gear was ground down to. Due to the angle the nose gear is normally set and as the wheels were ground down it left one side of the axle more or less intact.

PIA747

Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:37 pm

How much will that cost to fix? Me thinks it will not be cheap.

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:42 pm

By the look of it.I think it would make sense to Replace the NLG assy & then await the Overhaul shop reports to decide if the Gear can be repaired.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

LFutia

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:13 am

here is the first pic that didnt get posted properly.

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

omoo

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:24 am

Thanks for sharing the pics....great photos
Fly Air Popobawa

CcrlR

Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:17 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 1):

I think they should replace the bottom part where the tires are at since it took all the scraping.

Quoting Jimpop (Reply 8):
Question Two: What is the approx weight being supported by tire/jack?

The jacks can hold a certain amount of weight. There are different types that they use and they can hold a certain amount of weight and are used for nosewheels or struts. This picture has one that is on the side and has a bracket on the fuselage for it to be able to hold the plane up. We had to use these for our 737-200 to replace a strut that was broken.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jan Severijns
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ariel Shocron

Quoting Jimpop (Reply 8):
Question Three: Is the tire in the above pics a replacement or the same tire from the landing?

That would have to be a replacement tire since the two that were on there were destroyed(remember the fire below the plane when it was trying to land? That's from the tires and the magnesium bases.). You have to see the video and watch the nosewheel and see what happens to know what I'm talking about here.

Thanks for sharing the pics

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew M

"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

HAWK21M

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:57 pm

Quoting CcrlR (Reply 14):
I think they should replace the bottom part where the tires are at since it took all the scraping

Called the Inner Cylinder.However I feel the Strut would be sent to the Overhaul shop for Detailed Inspection before being declared serviceable considering the abnormal Impact & load encountered.

Quoting CcrlR (Reply 14):
picture has one that is on the side and has a bracket on the fuselage for it to be able to hold the plane up. We had to use these for our 737-200 to replace a strut that was broken.

The Fwd Fuselage Jack on the B737 series does not take any load.The Entire load is carried by the Tail & Two Wing Jacks.The Nose Jack is just a Support jack.
regds
MEL

Klaus

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:31 am

Is anything known about damage to the runway? Well, at the very least, the ground-down metal has to have gone somewhere; Plus the mechanical and thermal effects...

airfoilsguy

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:05 pm

If it were up to me I would pull the whole nose gear assembly off, disassemble it and run it through FBI due to possible heat check cracking. For that much metal to be ground off the assembly must have heated real good. Sudden high localized heat is not a good thing, especially on load bearing aircraft parts.  flamed  or smiley faces for that matter.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

HAWK21M

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 17):
If it were up to me I would pull the whole nose gear assembly off, disassemble it and run it through FBI due to possible heat check cracking.

Agreed.Wasn't that done.I thought the Entire NLG Assy was to be replaced.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):
Is anything known about damage to the runway

Probably repaired soon there after

regds
MEL

Klaus

Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:07 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 18):
Probably repaired soon there after

I guess so... It would still be interesting to see fow much damage had been done...

By the way, what is the material of the ground-down strut?

Whiskeyflyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:19 am

quote from email received---You will find that the strut seals were replaced just before this flight. During the reassembly, the centering cam was installed 90 degrees out of its normal position. Now, when the weight comes off the nose gear the centering cam turns the gear sideways. The gear will not retract because the tires are in the way. Airbus designed the centering cam so it can be installed in 8 different positions, of which only 2 are correct. Also the centering cams normal position is different than the ones on a Boeing as the cam is not inline with the centerline of the aircraft but sits at a 45 degree angle to the centerline when properly installed.
It is surprising that the damage was limited to the wheel assemblies. From the photo's , it appears that the landing gear assembly was not damaged by the landing and that only the tires and wheels were destroyed. It is incredibly fortunate that the grinding appears to stop at the outer race of the wheel bearings perhaps sparing the axle. Note the damage to the magnesium wheel. Magnesium produces O2 as it burns and consequently a very large flame.

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:02 pm

Quoting Whiskeyflyer (Reply 20):
During the reassembly, the centering cam was installed 90 degrees out of its normal position. Now, when the weight comes off the nose gear the centering cam turns the gear sideways.

Wasn't it checked while on Fuselage Jacks.
regds
MEL

Whiskeyflyer

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi Hawk21M
I would have thought so, depends on your duplicate inspection procedures, was the guy working tired etc.
The comments I posted where forwarded to me by an airbus mechanic

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:19 pm

Quoting Whiskeyflyer (Reply 22):

Hi Hawk21M
I would have thought so, depends on your duplicate inspection procedures, was the guy working tired etc.
The comments I posted where forwarded to me by an airbus mechanic

Any official Prliminary report so far.
regds
MEL

frequentflyer

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:33 am

That thing resisted shock and abrasion quite a bit.

Layman question: was there any risk that the nose would collapse? (because of pressure and vibration on the gear column)

Happy Mxing,

Pat
Take off and live

Starlionblue

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting Frequentflyer (Reply 24):
Layman question: was there any risk that the nose would collapse? (because of pressure and vibration on the gear column)

Layman answer: On the smooth runway, probably not. If it had hit a bump, however...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo