kgfive

Boltless Turbine

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:15 am

Curious repair mechanic here. I work for G.E. Aircraft Engines in Prestwick,Scotland and since last year we have been repairing CF6 -80C2 HPT Fwd Outer Seals, attached to boltless turbines. This repair requires us to remove part of the seal by machining the inside seal teeth that are prone to cracking which has caused a few in flight shutdowns due to separation of various parts from the HPT Rotor. Apart form the obvious seriousness of the said shutdown I was wondering what this calamity actually felt like from a pilots viewpoint. Sweaty palms when handling a $600.000 engine part so I can imagine the feeling when it decides to separate and fly off into the sky. Interested in your replies.
fill the skies

IFIXCF6

RE: Boltless Turbine

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:24 am

Kgfive, Welcome to A.Net!
I had to say that even though you are the "enemy" (I am a former mechanic at GE WCO, Ontario, CA). This ("enemy") is said tongue-in-cheek.
I have assembled a few HPT's over the years, but I can't recall that detail. I spent nearly all of my time in Final Assembly, putting the modules together and overhauling the fans and AGBs.
Best of luck with your career with GE.
Mike

kgfive

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:29 pm

Thanks for the tongue in cheek welcome Mike,
If I am correct there is not much repair work done at WCO now, it's been transferred to other plants with less of OCP ( Operating Cost Per/Hr ) We are 2nd highest in GE approx $90 at the moment, seems more and more is going to Far East Sad

Most of our boltless turbine repairs have been for Continental but we are getting a few from other airlines for the SB upgrade which is to remove the inner seal teeth from the Fwd Outer Seal as this is where the cracks are developing and causing the destruction. One mess happened when mechanics were moving an aircraft and running engine up for a test after doing some maintenance on it and it went with an almighty bang, not sure where it was but somewhere in US. While we were doing first few repairs some engineers came over from Cincinnati to observe the procedure, scary enough handling a $600.000 part but having quizzing eyes watching your every move just added to the pressure. I should have added that this repair is done in the machine shop where I work.

Good to hear from you Mike and look forward to doing battle with you some more....well on here anyway.

kgfive
fill the skies

777wt

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:04 pm

Quoting Kgfive (Reply 2):
Most of our boltless turbine repairs have been for Continental but we are getting a few from other airlines for the SB upgrade which is to remove the inner seal teeth from the Fwd Outer Seal as this is where the cracks are developing and causing the destruction.

Continental is an GE engine brand operator, the CF6 -80C2 is for the 767 right?

kgfive

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:22 am

Yes Continental use G.E. Engines and various 767's are powered by -80C2.

http://www.geae.com/engines/commercial/cf6/cf6-80c2.html

More info with this link
fill the skies

Francoflier

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:48 am

From a pilot's standpoint, just an increase of the adrenaline levels, although an engine failure during the cruise is not really a challenge.

Oh, and the last thing the pilots think about (especially in an emergency) is how much the damage is going to cost!
Couldn't care less...

But then all mechanics know that.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

kgfive

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:58 am

Unfortunately in Overhaul/Repair we are constantly reminded on the cost of all engine parts. When an engine is fully disassembled and is going through the shop for repair every component has a Repair Card attached to it and smack bang at the top is the "ass twitching" box with the price Sad

" oh bugger I dropped it".......adrenelin does flow then but not as much as when you hear a bang !!!!
fill the skies