julesmusician

Major Airport Closure - Procedure For Incoming

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:09 pm

When a major airport is closed following an incident are airline captains already prebriefed in their notes as to where they will have to go in the event they cannot land at their original destination, or will it be for Air Traffic to direct each incoming aircraft to a chosen airport by them rather than the pilot?

J
African Civil Aviation Commission president "You don't want to fly out as a passenger and come back as cargo."

Stoicescu

RE: Major Airport Closure - Procedure For Incoming

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:35 pm

That's why the alternate airport is for. I believe diverting is the decision of the flight crew not the decision of ATC. Of course if the airport is closed the flight crew doesn't have other option.

PhilSquares

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:59 pm

ATC has no say in where you divert. In a case where you have plenty of time, you'd coordinate with dispatch to see what is the best alternate. If you're close in to your destination, then you'd divert to your filed alternates.
Fly fast, live slow

Cruiser

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:31 am

When AF358 crashed at Toronto, the airport closed down for a few hours. When it was reopened, I heard on ATClive.net that they were allowing planes to land, but warned them that no emergency services would be available if they were to land. Most pilots told ATC that they would have to contact their insurance companies to see if they were able to land.

When the airport was closed, ATC helped planes divert to Ottawa, Buffalo, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Montreal, etc. From all accounts, it sounded as though NavCAN was helping pilots to choose the optimal airport to land at based on their destination, current location, and such.

James
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

julesmusician

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:34 am

I know that pilots can decide which airport to go to in normal circumstances where they might be the only aircraft diverting due to low fuel or another problem, but I thought when hundreds of aircraft are due over several hours Air Traffic Control would insist that aircraft divert to airports of their choice so the other airports would not get overcrowded just because they happened to be the closest, but it appears not so?

J
African Civil Aviation Commission president "You don't want to fly out as a passenger and come back as cargo."