AMSMAN
Topic Author

Flight Path From CDG - MIA

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:24 am

Hey guys, can anyone help me? I'm wondering if there's a website out there that will show me flight paths.

Want to know the path of CDG - MIA also.

Thanks in advance

AMSMAN
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

RE: Flight Path From CDG - MIA

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:32 pm

Most CDG-MIA flights will likely fly on the NATS -- try here.
7 hours aint long-haul

PhilSquares

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:53 pm

Quoting 3201 (Reply 1):
Most CDG-MIA flights will likely fly on the NATS

Not quite true. I think you'll find the southern flights, depending on the winds will most likely take a more southerly random track. The return leg (MIA-CDG) would most likely use the NAT to take advantage of the wind.
Fly fast, live slow

SlamClick

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:58 pm

My son and his wife just did ATL-MAD and FCO-ATL and both flights used the NAT tracks. While Miami is farther south than Atlanta, both Madrid and Rome are further to the south of Paris. I'd bet on the NATs.

edit: I just ran a great circle MIA - CDG on a globe. It passes over the Grand Banks, maybe a couple hundred miles south of Newfoundland. Crossing the middle of the north Atlantic, say in the vicinty of the Azores only looks shorter on a flat map. On a flat map of the northern hemisphere an east-west great circle will always curve north toward the pole.

[Edited 2005-11-09 16:16:04]

[Edited 2005-11-09 16:17:43]
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

julesmusician

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:16 am

I assume the NATS tracks take into account the jetstream and change according to weather?
African Civil Aviation Commission president "You don't want to fly out as a passenger and come back as cargo."

SlamClick

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:56 am

Quoting Julesmusician (Reply 4):
I assume the NATS tracks take into account the jetstream and change according to weather?

Yes they do. They plot them (if I'm correctly informed) with reference to the northern jetstream, the boundary between the Ferrell cell and Polar cell air circulation systems. There may be a southern jetstream down closer to tropical latitudes which is the front between the Hadley cell and Ferrell cell but it is not organized like the northern jets and the Hadley cell produces easterly winds. (the northeast trades)

So summer or winter, the ideal crossing tends to be roughly between the Grand Banks and Labrador and between northern Scotland and, say Brest, France. The Atlantic is also very much narrower up there.

I have seen the southernmost track lie over the Azores but usually they are a ways north of there. Typically, 45 North might be about as far south as you would find the southernmost track.

Also they sometimes make the southernmost track angle down, from the vicinity of 40 or 50 west, toward the southern US, coasting in, maybe down toward the Chesapeake area.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.