BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

How Much For Multi-Engine Rating?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:05 am

Hello All,

I was hoping I could find out about how much one must pump out of his wallet to get a Multi-Engine rating (This includes all you have to do to get that certification, including student, single-engine, land, instrument). About how much money would I be spending over the course + all the equipment I would need. I am hoping to one day fly Gulfstreams or Learjets and then one day get type rated on the DC9 and 737.

Thanks for any info.
Puhdiddle

usnseallt82

RE: How Much For Multi-Engine Rating?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:26 am

Well, it depends on where you go and what speed you wish to complete the program at. Try this site and see what you think. They are a little pricey, so you could probably get away for several thousand less if you did it locally....

http://www.atpflightschool.com/

But, if you go military......its a little better.  bigthumbsup 
Crye me a river

Theiler

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:54 am

To be on the safe side, I would plan $15,000 to do the Single Engine land and the Instrument rating - keeping in mind that you'll need to build some cross-country time on your own prior to getting the instrument rating. The multi will likely be around $3-5,000 more.

Then it's time-building, time-building, time-building until you have enough hrs for the commercial ticket. And more time-building until you're employable anywhere, apart from instructing.

Incidentally, this assumes you go the "non-school route" as opposed to part 141 "schools" such as Embry Riddle, North Dakota, etc.

Long and short, it ain't cheap.. But neither is any specialized college degree either!

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:41 am

Well, I knew it wasn't cheap, but didn't know how much I should save up.

I may wait until I get a new car, and get some other stuff taken care of, and then go for Multi.
Puhdiddle

undehoulli

Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:33 am

Well, if you train in a part 61 environment, you'll need 250 hours to get your commercial license...141 can reduce this to 190 hours. It's going to cost a whole bunch of money. I spent $30,887.51 on my private, instrument, commercial, and multi-engine ratings, and another $9013.91 on my CFI and CFII...MEI is coming in December - oh yea, add on college tuition, room and board, and other expenses too!
Weather Modification Rocks!!!

Woodreau

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:54 pm

I know you're looking for the whole she-bang, but you can get your multi-engine certificate with just 40 hours TT or 35 hours TT if you do it Part 141 - it will be a private multi-engine. But that is still a multiengine certificate. You don't have to get a single engine certificate at all if all you're looking to do is fly Lears and 737s, DC-9s. But it is cheaper to build time in a single engine and if you are a CFI, you are more marketable if you can teach in a single engine.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

jspitfire

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:43 pm

I'm doing a program at Coastal Pacific Aviation in Abbotsford, BC that gets me my commercial, and multi-IFR. They have a 4 year program, which gets you these ratings plus a busniness administration degree. I like the idea of having a degree as well, as it makes you look better when applying for jobs, and it also gives you a backup plan if something happens to your medical or something. Right now I'm paying $250 CAN/hr for the twin, so it definitely isn't cheap.
I guess you're probably looking for something in the states, but here's the website if anyone is interested.

www.coastalpacific.com

Jason