julesmusician

Fire Truck Cover At Airports And Cancelled Flights

Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:06 am

Is this story a familiar one, have other pilots had experience of it? Wouldn't the airport be liable to the airline for failing to provide the service?

J

Readers' rants: We want compensation from Ryanair

WE RECENTLY travelled to La Rochelle with Ryanair. Arriving for the return flight, we were told that it would be delayed due to a lack of fire engines at the airport. Subsequently, the flight was cancelled. Ryanair refunded the cost of our return flight, but made no effort to assist us in making other arrangements. Flights on subsequent days were already full, and we were told to make our own way back to the UK. Surely we are due compensation from Ryanair?

Ryanair replies: “Under European regulations, all airports are required to have sufficient fire cover. In this instance, due to a fire truck being out of service, the airport was closed and Ryanair had no alternative but to cancel the La Rochelle/Stansted flight. All passengers received a full refund of their unused ticket and a free transfer to the next available flight. EU regulations say that an airline does not have to offer compensation where the cancellation is beyond the carrier’s control.”
African Civil Aviation Commission president "You don't want to fly out as a passenger and come back as cargo."

Dakar

RE: Fire Truck Cover At Airports And Cancelled Flights

Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:27 am

Not sure about liability, but if it were I flying on the plane, I would understand the airline's call to cancel the flight. Imagine if there were an emergency and people died because the last truck wasn't there. Who's fault would it be?

However, it would also make sense to have a standby truck in case one truck does go down due to service or emergency repair.

I don't agree with Ryanair not providing transportation back to the UK, BUT, like your question, is it the airport fire department's responsibility, or the airline's?

Nick

D5DBY

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting Julesmusician (Thread starter):
EU regulations say that an airline does not have to offer compensation where the cancellation is beyond the carrier’s control.”

i would imagine ryan air just follows the EU air travel regulations...

julesmusician

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:25 am

I was interested in whether pilots have experienced cancelled flights because of a lack of fire trucks or other provisions at an airport that goes below safety minima - just whether it was a regular thing or very rare occurence?
As far as the liability issue, it would probably be worth the person trying to claim of the airport.

J
African Civil Aviation Commission president "You don't want to fly out as a passenger and come back as cargo."

airfoilsguy

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:57 am

Why didn't the airport just borrow a truck from one of the local fire departments. Sounds like poor planning to me.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

WrenchBender

Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 4):
Why didn't the airport just borrow a truck from one of the local fire departments. Sounds like poor planning to me.

The regs are very specific as to what type of equipment has to be available for Crash Fire Rescue, borrowing a pumper truck from the nearest community would in all likelyhood not meet the requirements, Foam, TAU and mobility all have to be met.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:56 am

Why no Back up trucks.This was a known unserviceability.What in case there was an Emergency & the truck got Unserviceable while moving to tackle that Emergency.
I would think a Back up truck would be a SOP.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)