vanguard737

DC8 Pax Windows

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:26 am

Why were the DC8 passenger windows as large as they were? This in not a standard Douglas feature, as all other Douglas jetliners feature more conservative, "Boeing-sized" pax windows. Was this used as a selling point? I sure wish more aircraft had windows this large, it would be a dream! Also, in most airliners there are two rows of seats per three windows (in economy), what was the set-up in a DC8? I am guessing one large window per each row of seats? That would be nice, too!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

320 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 739 744 752 753 763 772 773 788 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 E145 E170 E175 CRJ CR7

ptrjong

RE: DC8 Pax Windows

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:08 am

The DC-8 was Douglas' first jetliner, and the windows look rather like the DC-7's, so it seems a leftover from the prop age rather than a selling point.

The large windows are nice, but the distance between windows is also large, so with an alternative seat pitch passengers some passengers can see nothing at all I presume. So, larger numbers of smaller windows give airlines more flexibility. I think.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

57AZ

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:13 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 1):
The large windows are nice, but the distance between windows is also large, so with an alternative seat pitch passengers some passengers can see nothing at all I presume. So, larger numbers of smaller windows give airlines more flexibility. I think.

Don't forget that many DC-8s had lounges located in the forward cabin. With lounge seating, window placement wasn't a big concern. Another consideration is that as originally laid out, the first generation jets had a very low capacity compared to the flying buses that Airbus and Boeing produce now. AA's first 707s were fitted out in a 50/50 arrangement-the numbers of F and Y class seating were the same.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

SFOMB67

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:48 pm

I don't know for sure, but it may have been an engineering thing. I worked on DC-8's, and they were just a heavy duty plane, especially the wings and flaps. Perhaps the Boeing engineers were more on the conservative side.
Not as easy as originally perceived

CRJ900

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:35 pm

I remember flying the DC8-63 with charter carrier Scanair. They packed in 252 seats and I was so disappointed that our seat row on the outbound flight was between two windows - thus we saw nothing of the outside world for the whole flight. Flying home we sat between the overwing exits and there were 2 full rows between the exits and 2-seat rows at the exits...
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

ptrjong

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:44 pm

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 4):
They packed in 252 seats and (...) our seat row on the outbound flight was between two windows - thus we saw nothing of the outside world

Seems to prove my point.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

aeroweanie

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:43 am

Boeing airliners have fuselage frames at 20" spacing, and the windows are between the frames. I believe Douglas uses similar frame spacing. Thus it looks like they skipped putting windows in every-other frame opening on the DC-8.

longhauler

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:40 am

When the DC-8 was introduced, the windows were spaced at one window per seat row. The actual size of the window was a selling point. I don't think when anyone at the Douglas factory was designing the aircraft in the 1950's, they would have ever dared imagine a 28" seat pitch!!!

When Trans-Canada Airlines introduced the DC-8-41 in 1961, the seat pitch in Economy was actually the same as First Class ... and aligned with the windows. That quickly changed in 1963, with the introduction of the -50s, and the cabins were realigned.

By the time the DC-8-61 and DC-8-63's were introduced (the cabins were identical), even with a 35" seat pitch in economy, there were rows with no windows at all! I would have to dig out one of my old DC-8 manuals with all the seat charts, (AC had about 15 different layouts for DC-8s!), but I recall something like every 7th row had no window.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!