John
Topic Author

For The Pilots: Winter Ops From Short Runways...

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:05 pm

....given the recent WN incident and alot of the attention drawn to MDW's short runways and lack of buffer zones...give us your thoughts on the subject.

pilotpip

RE: For The Pilots: Winter Ops From Short Runways...

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:20 pm

They've been doing it for years, and from shorter runways. MDW had many aircraft land before the WN flight with no problems. What more is there? We don't know the outcome and we won't for some time (and I'm not even going to begin to speculate because the NTSB will do a very thurough investigation as they always do)but the Air France incident earlier this year proved that even a long runway isn't a guarantee.

BTW: Cold weather improves performance. I'd rather have a short runway in cold/low density altitude conditions than in hot and high conditions.
DMI

Fly2HMO

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 1):
I'd rather have a short runway in cold/low density altitude conditions than in hot and high conditions.

Ditto, especially in a piston plane  scared 

zeke

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:56 am

We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

Grbld

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:48 am

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 1):
I'd rather have a short runway in cold/low density altitude conditions than in hot and high conditions.

Not with braking action less than good, I hope!

pilotpip

Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:16 am

Considering what I'm flying isn't certified for flight into known icing, if it isn't good or better in winter I'm probably not going. Regardless, the length of runway didn't prevent others from landing that day in less than perfect conditions.
DMI

bhill

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:30 am

I'm curious tho..granted all of the info is not out yet..but was'nt there a "suggestion" from Boeing a few years ago for pilots to use higher landing velocities because of the unexplained rudder issues? I've read that this is a -700 series bird, so the question might be moot, which makes me ask..does the NG series of birds use a redesigned rudder command and control system? No..this is not a A vs. B bait...I don't go for that crap anyhow...If'n it flies...

Cheers
Carpe Pices

Starlionblue

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:11 am

Quoting Bhill (Reply 6):
I'm curious tho..granted all of the info is not out yet..but was'nt there a "suggestion" from Boeing a few years ago for pilots to use higher landing velocities because of the unexplained rudder issues? I've read that this is a -700 series bird, so the question might be moot, which makes me ask..does the NG series of birds use a redesigned rudder command and control system?

There is an extra actuator for the rudder now. After years of testing they finally managed to reproduce the issue in the lab. Had to do with very hot hydraulic fluid + very cold components. Lab testing concluded that the issue is so unlikely it shouldn't happen, which goes to show how many 737 flights there are.

As for the recommendations, I have no idea.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo