aerlinguscargo

Hole In The Side Of A 330

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:23 am

I work at JFK and a German airline that I will not name recently had a little problem with one of their 330's. A maintenance guy left his van in gear and the van subsequently left a hole in the 330. My question is what would an airline have to do to repair a sizeable hole like that?
d

Grbld

RE: Hole In The Side Of A 330

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:18 am

They would need a metal worker to put a new metal plate in place there, usually riveted on. It's quite a hassle and it can be quite frustrating to see how many of these unnecessary incidents happen on the ramp.

One of our brand-spankin new aircraft had a baggage loader drive a hole in the right engine nacelle inlet when it was less than a month old. So now it flies around with a Frankenstein-like riveted patch on that engine (until they replace the whole thing after a while, operationally there's nothing to worry about). That's just a pity but at every major airport it happens a few times a day.

Grbld.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:16 am

There is a little more than riveting on a metal patch. Manufactures produce something called the Structural Repair Manual (SRM) for each aircraft model. Airline engineers and sheet metal mechanics will use this manual and determine if there is an existing repair in the SRM that can be used to accomplish the repair. If there is they will follow the SRM and accomplish the repair. Repair made in accordance with the SRM are considered FAA approved because the SRM is an FAA approved document.

However, should the damage be outside what the SRM allows then the airline engineering staff or the manufactures engineering staff to will have to design a repair specifically for the damage. These repairs, that are outside what is allowed by the SRM also require FAA approval. After the FAA has reviewed the repair proposal they will issue something call a 8110-3 which certifies that the repair is air worthy.

Airgypsy

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:31 pm

You can build an airplane around a dataplate if you have enough ink in your pen, a big stack of paper and an FAA Form 337. A real good SRM helps with damage but the assembly of "new" parts isn't damage. Odd but true.

HAWK21M

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:21 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 2):

Well explained  bigthumbsup 
Safety rules on Ramp driving are well documented,Unfortunately some people just don't follow them & ruin a Good Aicraft Finish or Ground a Serviceable Aircraft which can be very expensive.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

airbusA346

Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:57 pm

Quoting Grbld (Reply 1):
One of our brand-spankin new aircraft had a baggage loader drive a hole in the right engine nacelle inlet when it was less than a month old. So now it flies around with a Frankenstein-like riveted patch on that engine (until they replace the whole thing after a while, operationally there's nothing to worry about). That's just a pity but at every major airport it happens a few times a day.

Is there any photos of that aircraft on A.net

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).