qxeguy

VFR Only Panel Mouted GPS For IFR Enroute

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:48 am

Is is legal to use your PANEL mounted, VFR only (ie not a handheld) GPS for IFR enroute navigation (being your ONLY source of navigation, not backing up VOR nav etc). I know that you definitely cannot use it for approach, but a colleague of mine insists that you can legally use it for IFR Enroute as your only source of navigation. I disagree, but I cannot find a FAR/AIM reference that says either way. Any answers with references appreciated. Thanks!
I fly boxes. Boxes don't bitch. Boxes don't barf. Boxes don't get drunk and do a number 2 on the beverage cart.

julesmusician

RE: VFR Only Panel Mouted GPS For IFR Enroute

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:07 am

The difference in GPS IFR and VFR is: (for those interested)

The main difference is that Visual Flight Rules (VFR) receivers do not have a FAA-approved method for detecting satellite failures. Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) receivers have a feature known as Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring (RAIM) which can detect bad satellite signals and remove them from the position calculations. IFR receivers usually cost more than VFR receivers due to this advanced capability.

Due to the growing popularity of satellite navigation and potential new aviation applications, there are several types of GPS-based receivers on the market, but only those that pass through this certification process can be used as approved navigation equipment under instrument flight rules (IFR) conditions.

So basically, no.

[Edited 2005-12-19 19:09:17]
African Civil Aviation Commission president "You don't want to fly out as a passenger and come back as cargo."

julesmusician

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:19 am

The FAA has granted approval for U.S. civil operators to use properly certified GPS equipment as a primary means of navigation in oceanic airspace and certain remote areas. Properly certified GPS equipment may be used as a supplemental means of IFR navigation for domestic en route, terminal operations, and certain instrument approach procedures (IAPs). This approval permits the use of GPS in a manner that is consistent with current navigation requirements as well as approved air carrier operations specifications.
African Civil Aviation Commission president "You don't want to fly out as a passenger and come back as cargo."

julesmusician

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:23 am

Aircraft using GPS navigation equipment under IFR must be equipped with an approved and operational alternate means of navigation appropriate to the flight. Active monitoring of alternative navigation equipment is not required if the GPS receiver uses RAIM for integrity monitoring. Active monitoring of an alternate means of navigation is required when the RAIM capability of the GPS equipment is lost.

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/AIM/Chap1/aim0101.html#1-1-1

qxeguy

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:38 am

OK. Let me clarify my question. Can you LEGALLY go GPS direct under IFR from Airport A to Airport B where no defined airway exists with a Panel mounted VFR only GPS unit? If so, where does it say that you can do that?
I fly boxes. Boxes don't bitch. Boxes don't barf. Boxes don't get drunk and do a number 2 on the beverage cart.

julesmusician

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:50 am

According to what I read you cannot. Technically you may be able to but you will be busting FAA rules that state to navigate under FAA laws legally you must have an IFR GPS, which it states on the web site address of the FAA I gave you.

julesmusician

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:53 am

Of course I forgot to add that you can use the VFR GPS to navigate in IFR conditions but it is against FAA regs (as far as I can read) and if it all goes wrong and you have an issue (near miss, not where you should be) then you will have the book thrown at you for not having the proper kit.

MrChips

Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting Qxeguy (Reply 4):
OK. Let me clarify my question. Can you LEGALLY go GPS direct under IFR from Airport A to Airport B where no defined airway exists with a Panel mounted VFR only GPS unit? If so, where does it say that you can do that?

In a word, no. Furthermore, if you use an IFR-certified GPS as your primary source of enroute navigation in IFR flight, you still need to use another source to back up the GPS (VORs, NDBs, LORAN, RNAV, INS, etc.). However, you can use it for non-navigational purposes only; in other words, it can't be used as a source of naviagation information. Nothing says you can't have it turned on with the route programmed in - I would argue that even though it isn't IFR-certified, the GPS in question can still prove to be quite useful.

Now having said all that, here in Canada, there exist non-precision approaches for which GPS is the only practical means of completing them (RNAV (GPS) approaches). There is no easy way to back these approaches up, due to the unique construction of the approach.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

pilotpip

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:10 am

No, you can NOT use a VFR only GPS for enroute ops. The only GPS you may use is an IFR approved unit with a current database. If using that setup, you must have some sort of backup as mentioned (VOR, NDB, etc). If the database is expired you may not use the GPS for approaches. You may use it for enroute operations only if the lat/long match up in the GPS to your destination.

PS: VFR only GPS units must be placarded as such.
DMI