Diego
Topic Author

FAA Pilot Record

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:40 am

Hi everybody one question that might not even be pertinent to the forum. About two years ago i was involved in an incident, a runway overrun; from a talk to a friend of mine who used to work for the FAA i was told that an incident is wiped off the record after two years. Is that true and is there any legal action I have to take in order to clean my record?
Thanks for your attention.

SlamClick

RE: FAA Pilot Record

Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:04 am

It may be wiped off your record, although I have never heard of such a thing, but there will be some record of it until the end of time if the FAA got involved.

Further, it is the single worst thing an FAA-regulated pilot could do to try to hide something in their record. A few years ago I saw a really sad event. A guy had been hired at a really good airline. He'd done well in training and was out flying the line when they found out about an occurrence that was supposedly "wiped off his records" at another airline. The occurrence was union-related and not even a safety issue. When he'd filled out the application at his current airline he'd checked "NO" to any "disciplinary action."

They felt that he had "lied on his application" and fired him. I don't know what, if anything the union did on his behalf, but he was terminally terminated.

Now here is where it gets ugly. No other FAA-regulated airline can hire him with that firing on his record.

He is, to the best of my knowledge, no longer a pilot.

He'd have been better off if he'd crashed a couple of airplanes or been caught smuggling cocaine! At least he could overcome those things.

WHAT EVER there is in your past, a prospective employer MUST know about it. Find some way to explain it, but get it out in the open with them.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

avioniker

Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:51 pm

First and foremost find out what's in your Oak City record.
The easiest way (relatively speaking) is to go to your local FSDO and ask them to look you up in PTRS. That'll tell you if there's anything there to look at. Then you can request copies of everything. Hard to say what you'll get there.
If any investigative or corrective actions are over two years old you need to write a letter and send it certified to the Airmen's Record Center requesting that the actions and files be removed and sealed from your record.
However; and this is the big one, the fact of an action or entry on your record NEVER goes away. Only the details once you request it.
Everything Slamclick said is correct and you would be well advised to remember it.
Even a blown tire on takeoff or landing is in your record if the tower reported it regardless of outcome. Remember that...
Have a nice aviation life  Smile
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 1):
WHAT EVER there is in your past, a prospective employer MUST know about it. Find some way to explain it, but get it out in the open with them.

True of any industry. Never ever lie on your resume or in an interview. Even a minor discrepancy will, if found, probably leave your new employer with no choice but to fire you.

Embellishing, on the other hand...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

lincoln

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 1):
Now here is where it gets ugly. No other FAA-regulated airline can hire him with that firing on his record.

Really? That seems kind of harsh (though not suprising)... is it a matter of airline policy/custom or is there actually an FAA reg prohibiting hiring a terminated pliot?

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 3):
True of any industry. Never ever lie on your resume or in an interview. Even a minor discrepancy will, if found, probably leave your new employer with no choice but to fire you.

Really, all a misrepresentation can do is come back and bite you... If you have to lie to get a job, it's probably not a job that you're qualified for and in the end it can be "bad" or "worse".

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:18 pm

Records will stay as long as the Regulatory Body Exists.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)