N766UA
Topic Author

Pilots- What Irritates You About ATC?

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:36 am

I figured maybe a follow up to the ATC- What do you hate? thread might be in order. So, to better understand one another I ask this: Pilots- what annoys you about ATC?

For me personally it's when I'm trying to use flight-following over multiple sectors/facilities and I have to keep re-setting my transponder and re-stating my destination every time. Come on, guys, even at 2AM this happens. Rather than just letting me go till I drop off the screen can't you just flash me over at the other facility and hand me off?
This Website Censors Me

Ralgha

RE: Pilots- What Irritates You About ATC?

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:54 am

I've never had to do that. Where are you flying?
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

pilotaydin

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:01 am

For me it's when they clear you to land, then 30 seconds later they freak out and ask for your position because a heavy is on the glide, then you answer by saying...uhhh on the ground? that was when i was in the Cessnas  Smile

Actually what really annoys me about ATC is when you aren't sure what's up or ask a question, and they give you a sarcastic answer, basically everyone hears you be ridiculed  Smile

On a positive not, come on they dont have a nice view by the scopes, and everything is blurry and green  Smile they do a great job though, props!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

N766UA
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 1):
I've never had to do that. Where are you flying?

It happens in the Cleveland/Akron/Toledo area mostly. The Detroit and Pittsburgh guys usually take the time to hand me off, same with center, but the Cleveland and Akron controllers are very hard pressed to help you out. I notice I'm about into Pitt airspace and they say "Radar service terminated, squawk VFR, frequency change approved."
This Website Censors Me

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting N766UA (Thread starter):
can't you just flash me over at the other facility and hand me off?

If the facility you are under control of, even just VFR flight following doesn't put a flight plan into the HOST computer it cannot be handed off in most cases via automation.....but there is always "the landline" to use.

As for changing transponder codes, each facility has a transponder code allocation with adjacent facilities not using similar blocks of codes like a 03XX or 02XX....in some cases you might go from one facility using the 03 block and have to change to a 02 block when you get on their frequency, not uncommon at all but can get on ones nerves quickly.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

KAUSpilot

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:08 am

Here's what irritates me.....

Controllers who get their panties in a wad when you ask them to "say again".

Controllers who jump on pilots for missing a call, yet get super defensive when you call them two or three times without an answer because they were on a "land line".

Controllers who screw up your callsign then berate you when you verify the instruction they issued was indeed for you.

Controllers who confuse "Jetlink" with "Bluestreak". BTA and JIA look alot alike I know.

Tower Controllers who don't issue instructions after turning off the runway after landing, leaving you with an awkward query, "tower, airliner XXX, taxi to the ramp with you?".

Center controllers who don't give you normal speed when they don't need your speed assignment anymore.

And the list goes on....

MissedApproach

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:09 am

Quoting KAUSpilot (Reply 5):

Try "Say again, you're coming in broken & stupid...". Maybe not a good idea.
Can you hear me now?

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:28 am

Controllers who confuse "Jetlink" with "Bluestreak". BTA and JIA look alot alike I know.

If we all just used "Jetlincoln" would that be helpful???  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

KAUSpilot

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:42 pm

Jetlincoln is fantastic.

freakydeaky

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:44 pm

It's very rare that ATC irritates me - they do an outstanding job and on the whole I think we all work together very well.

But, if there were ever a time I get irritated it almost always starts with New York... I don't take it personally when they start snapping and ridiculing - hey - it's a way of life in New York - so I cut them some slack. It's embarrassing though when the foreign carriers get their azz handed to them by a rude NY controller. I want to come on freq. and say "It's NY, what can we say???"
 duck  duck  duck  duck 
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could."

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:35 pm

When An Aircraft ready to Taxi out is asked to hold on taxitrack until a landing Aircraft 2 mins away is cleared the Runway in front of it  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:55 pm

Quoting KAUSpilot (Reply 8):
Jetlincoln is fantastic.

Glad some of us are able to put a smile on our face....but you know that is also the appropriate reply as well!

A3204eva

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:49 pm

Controllers that are really busy and so talk a lot faster and then we can't understand them and so ask for the instruction to be repeated... makes life for them a lot harder! Big grin
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

turnit56N

Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting FreakyDeaky (Reply 9):
But, if there were ever a time I get irritated it almost always starts with New York... I don't take it personally when they start snapping and ridiculing - hey - it's a way of life in New York - so I cut them some slack.

Interesting that I completely agree with you, but have the opposite experience. I think that overall ATC does a great job and I'm very rarely annoyed by them. I attribute that greatly to being based in the NY airspace and flying regularly with NY approach and center, who are generally the most efficient controllers I will deal with all day. They may not be the most polite, but I know I can trust them no matter how busy they get. If I am going to get annoyed by a controller, it's probably going to be by one that controls the airspace around a certain city in Ohio on the bank of Lake Erie.

And while I know I wouldn't be the first or last pilot to try it, some slow day I'd love to try "Say again, I was on a land line."
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

lincoln

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 7):
Jetlincoln is fantastic.

Hey... A callsign with my name in it. I like it as well.  Smile

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

N766UA
Topic Author

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Turnit56N (Reply 13):
If I am going to get annoyed by a controller, it's probably going to be by one that controls the airspace around a certain city in Ohio on the bank of Lake Erie.

"Airline XXX, Cleveland approach, good afternoon...reduce speed 170."

silly  I love 'em too.
This Website Censors Me

bri2k1

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:50 am

I wish controllers wouldn't "berate" us for anything. I've never berated a controller. I've very certainly been annoyed with them though. I realize it's a stressful job, but they're up there in the nice, warm tower. Once you're in, you're in (as a controller): there's very good job security, frequent breaks, and much better pay than most pilots. I said it was a stressful job, but they should give us a break every once in a while.

That being said, I really appreciate the controllers at my home class D airport most days. They'll always be as accomodating to my requests as they can be, and are generally friendly, always professional, and usually easy to understand. The other day, probably because I had been friendly and corteous to them all day, they made a Javelin that was taxiing out hold for me to taxi in!  Smile
Position and hold

Mir

Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:53 pm

Quoting Turnit56N (Reply 13):
Interesting that I completely agree with you, but have the opposite experience. I think that overall ATC does a great job and I'm very rarely annoyed by them. I attribute that greatly to being based in the NY airspace and flying regularly with NY approach and center, who are generally the most efficient controllers I will deal with all day. They may not be the most polite, but I know I can trust them no matter how busy they get.

checkmark 

Rule for dealing with New York ATC: Don't give them any crap, and you'll get the best service you could ever want. But if you act like an idiot, they'll come down on you pretty hard (fortunately, I've never been that person, but I've heard it happen).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CX Flyboy

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Bri2k1 (Reply 16):
I wish controllers wouldn't "berate" us for anything. I've never berated a controller. I've very certainly been annoyed with them though

I agree 100%. There are a few controllers in HKG with very bad patience, especially at the foreign carriers. I know it is stressful, but they should be a little more understanding to those pilots with basic english.

Another thing which annoys me is Singapore ATC, where they always have to have the last word and repeat your callsign. E.g

ATC: "Cathay 717 descend 6000ft"

Pilot "Descend 6000ft, Cathay 717"

ATC "Cathay 717"

One of these days, I am going to say "Go ahead." Afterwards...That will get their knickers in a twist!

OE-LDA

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:38 pm

Quoting CX flyboy (Reply 18):
Another thing which annoys me is Singapore ATC, where they always have to have the last word and repeat your callsign. E.g

ATC "Cathay 717"

Interesting. Why do they do that? It makes no sense and seems to be against the standard phraseology. If they want to acknowledge your last transmission (which is not necessary after you read back a clearance correctly) they are supposed to state their own call sign, not the one of the aircraft.

Regards, OE-LDA
I am totally missing basics and clueless about airline flying!

CX Flyboy

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:01 pm

No idea!!! it's very irritating I know that! There is somewhere else that does it, but I have forgotten where. I think Malaysia.

HAWK21M

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting CX flyboy (Reply 18):

ATC "Cathay 717"

Maybe they could add "Read back correct Cathay 717" if they have to  Smile
regds
MEL

wing

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:53 am

Not only the ATC but anybody in this business who tend to forget that he/she is there to help me do my job easier as a pilot annoys me a lot.

ATC is one of the divisions(but not the only one) who tends to forget what I stated above,a lot.

I have a lot of irritating experiences with the ATC around the Europe but mostly in Turkey airspace,it really will take a lot of space and time to write here.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

Night_Flight

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:14 am

I hate hearing this when we still have over one hour left in our flight!

"Please slow to 250 kts, spacing to O'Hare."

At least we get paid block or better!

-Night_Flight-
Remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous?

OE-LDA

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting Wing (Reply 22):
Not only the ATC but anybody in this business who tend to forget that he/she is there to help me do my job easier as a pilot annoys me a lot.

I do not agree with this. I think that it is not the task of ATC to make a pilots job easier. They are there to enable a flight and make it safer. Theyl work with us pilots together on this as a team. The pilots are not the center of the industry, the passengers are!

Please don't take it personal, but I think it is the wrong attitude. Same goes, by the way, for your signature ("Any pilot who does not at least privately consider himself the best in the business...is in the wrong business."). I think this is not correct either.

Regards, OE-LDA

roseflyer

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 am

I get really frustrated when the controllers are overloaded. I hate getting snapped out. When I was a student pilot I said stupid things on the radio as every student pilot does, but when the controllers are overloaded they get snappy.

My worst experience when I was preparing for a cross country flight while working on my PPL was when I was cleared to takeoff at BFI from a midfield intersection while a business jet was on a very short final and only at about 50ft off the ground. I responded by saying that I wanted to refuse the clearance and hold for landing traffic, but the controller just repeated my takeoff clearance again. That was quickly followed up by the pilot of the Falcon jet asking if he was cleared to land. I think the controller was not focused well at all. That would have been a real mess if I had not noticed the jet about to touchdown.

Overall I am glad when ATC can achieve their job safely. It is an incredibly hard job and my applause to all those that have been able to successfully master it as a career. You have to be focused 100% of the time and deal with a lot of stress as well as pilots with varying flying experience and English skills. I could never do that.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

bri2k1

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting OE-LDA (Reply 24):
I think that it is not the task of ATC to make a pilots job easier. They are there to enable a flight and make it safer.

Then what is the pilot's job? It's to make a safe flight. You've disproven your own argument.

("Any pilot who does not at least privately consider himself the best in the business...is in the wrong business.")

The point of the signature in my opinion is that every pilot should strive to be the best they can, which is also true.
Position and hold

CX Flyboy

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting Bri2k1 (Reply 26):
("Any pilot who does not at least privately consider himself the best in the business...is in the wrong business.")

The point of the signature in my opinion is that every pilot should strive to be the best they can, which is also true.

I think you signature has been misunderstood as the motion that all pilots should have egos the size of mountains and believe that they are flawless. Now, there are plenty of pilots who do believe this, but it is a very dangerous perception to have, and not in the slightest bit safe. However you are indeed correct in saying we should all strive to be the best and not accept mediocrity.

ClearedDirect

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:43 am

Here's what irritates me.....

Controllers who jump on pilots for missing a call, yet get super defensive when you call them two or three times without an answer because they were on a "land line".

Controllers who screw up your callsign then berate you when you verify the instruction they issued was indeed for you.

I think that sums it up perfectly. That matches mine to a tee.
On the positive side I really enjoy a controller that has a sense of humor from time to time and also the ones that look out for you by giving you a "Cleared Direct" change to your flightplan.

CD

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting ClearedDirect (Reply 28):
On the positive side I really enjoy a controller that has a sense of humor from time to time and also the ones that look out for you by giving you a "Cleared Direct" change to your flightplan

I hear the Pilots at Our Airline saying the same always.Also the tone is a give away.
 Smile
regds
MEL

wing

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 am

do not agree with this. I think that it is not the task of ATC to make a pilots job easier.

I think you should wanna go back to read your PPL books because you are totally missing basics and clueless about airline flying.

CxFlyboy,
About my signature I found it on A website's aviation humour section.And while I was writing my post I wasn't even remembering it.Yes we also have many "astronauts" in our pilot community (as I call them) but I am not one of them.
Yes I love it when I land after a really hard day of flying around severe icing conditions,landing on a snow covered runway with with a gusty crosswind.But still I keep it to my self esteem as many who never did the same will not going to understand it anyway.

I, from the first day of my flying career keep reading and learning from every credible source I can find to keep my self away from the trouble,thats why I can-and I have to-find a lot of mistakes done by the others in this business (ATC,technicians,dispatchers,loaders,FA's etc) after all as my father said to me when I started this business "The captain is always the lonely man"

So I have to say again what I said in my first post;

Quoting Wing (Reply 22):

;...with a story I experienced last Sunday at Budapest.The representative came in with the load and balance sheet and said he was sorry being late since it was thier first time to work with A 321.We said no problem but the CG was looking a little bit too much forward then it is usual.

So I told it to the rep. he said they have checked it many times and it was correct.His face was looking like"I know this better than you why don't you shut up and go away"

When the captain came to the cockpit he explained it that it might look a little bit near the Fwd Cg but its within the limits and we had a slot time captain said OK quickly and off he went and we closed the doors.

Now I was very disturbed that there was something wrong with the load sheet I explained my concern to captain and after a quick check again he agreed with me.We called the company frequency asked chief supervisor to check it again and guess what he found that we were way out of the envelope.They corrected the new balance and we changed almost 20 people from the fwd to aft of the cabin to be balanced again.

So I hope I could make my frustration clear.We are not the center of the universe.But we are cretainly the center of the safe operation of and airplane from point A to B. And I have every right to expect same level of professionalism and knowledge from the everybody who works for me regardless of what they do in this business (ATC,Techic,supervisordispather or the FA's.)

Best Regards to all...WING

wing

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting OE-LDA (Reply 31):
Maybe you "should wanna" go back to your English books

congratulations on your great achievement of finding my grammar mistake.I stand corrected and apologize any inconvenience of my grammar mistake may cause to all internet community.

I thought a lot of sentences to reply your last post but then I decided that you probably not reading anyway.I may not be the best pilot in the industry but I sure am a knowledgeable one.I strongly recommend you go back and read more even to discuss "aviation" with me.Flying without knowing the basics is the real danger not a lousy signature from a humor site.

Best Regards.WING

EGTESkyGod

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:41 pm

Whenever they tell me to orbit for a Dash/146 that hasn't been pushed back yet!!

PS, When I'm in the circuit, that is!

[Edited 2006-01-24 14:42:14]
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

pilotaydin

Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:43 am

wing I understand you totally, probably because we went through the same schooling and work for the same airline. There are a lot of people on here who base their views and judgements off what they see. but i must tell all of you, what you see is only the surface of what really happens, so you should seriously try and get a more realistic grasp of what goes on in the airline world before you post remarks here about this and that.

Wing said what he said clearly, ATC doesn't work under us by any means, they work FOR US. We don't tell them what to do, we do what they tell us to, unless it's an absolutely ridiculous clearance, which we get sometimes.
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

OE-LDA

Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:57 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 33):
Wing said what he said clearly, ATC doesn't work under us by any means, they work FOR US

Giving it a second thought, I think you are right. They all work for the pilots.

Regards, OE-LDA

ZKSUJ

Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:47 pm

The guys that give you scarcastic remarks when you say 'say again'.

LONGisland89

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:59 am

It drives me crazy when the Boston center controllers say "tree" instead of the number "three"...................."roger Delta one fifty tree heavy, Kennedy altimeter tree zero tree tree."

UpperDeck79

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 36):
It drives me crazy when the Boston center controllers say "tree" instead of the number "three"...................."roger Delta one fifty tree heavy, Kennedy altimeter tree zero tree tree."

Huh? Ok, I know almost nothing about ATC, but isn't that how you're SUPPOSED to say number 3 on the radio...?
AY and ANA rock!

GuitrThree

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:11 pm

I must say, the ATC around the Nashville area is great, and I have no "irritations" about them at all..

The controllers @ BNA are very accommodating. I understand while BNA is no ATL or ORD, it's three parallel runways each offer a benefit to a particular user... 20L/2R benefits SWA, because it's the quickest RW to their terminals... 20R/2L benefit everyone else, Delta, Frontier, AA, United, NW, and others, While 20C/2C not only benefit the latter, but benefit the GA users who use Signature, Mercury, and others like Flight Express.

Whenever I've flown the 172 into BNA, they give me 20C/2C, thus greatly reducing taxi time... Also, I have a scanner, and like my tag line says, I live under the GuitrThree arrival. In 4 years of listening, I think I can count on one hand the number of runway requests that have been turned down.

Controllers around Middle Tennessee Rock.

Great job all..

About the only mess up I've had was flying from Nashville to Knoxville, and I was handed off to Indy Center, and they immediately noticed the error, asked me my heading, and turned me over to ATL Center...

[Edited 2006-01-26 06:13:01]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

xjramper

Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 37):
Huh? Ok, I know almost nothing about ATC, but isn't that how you're SUPPOSED to say number 3 on the radio...?

That is correct:

numbers run

0. zero
1. One
2. Two
3. Tree
4. Four
5. Fife
6. six
7. seven
8. eight
9. niner

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

crjflyer35

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:36 am

The only thing that bugs me about ATC is when they get snappy, as stated previously. I've found however, if you're polite and energetic, they will usually reciprocate. ie....

Tower: "Air Wisconsin 3495, contact Departure 127.8."
ZW3495: "27-8, 3495, see ya on the flip side!"
Tower: "Ha, we'll keep the porch light on for ya."
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:36 am

At my local airport where I've done my PPL school, LUG, I've always (well, almost) had friendly tower controllers.

Only once, when I was doing one of my first solo flights, one of them clearly wanted to "bust" me. He was irritated (don't know why, but you could tell from his voice), I was the only plane flying in the pattern, nobody else around. A really dead morning. I was doing circuits, and before the last landing, I forgot to report on final. He obviously saw me, but didn't say anything. The very instant I touched down, he went "HB-XXX, you did land without clearance". *Oops*. After parking he added "HB-XXX, call tower afterwards". My instructor luckily did that part for me, and the day was saved. The controller was right, I was wrong, but he really sounded as if this event made his day ...

What I don't like are controllers using non-standard phraseology. A terrible episode was in BSL, actually 2 episodes:

Twr: "HB-XXX, report November Echo" (there is no November Echo VFR point in BSL, but there is in other airports)
Me, all over the place looking for NE: "Please advise where NE is located, HB-XXX" (I was afraid I had an outdated chart)
Twr: "HB-XXX, report November, then Echo" (ahhhh!!)

Me: "HB-XXX, request climbing to 7000 feet"
Twr: "HB-XXX, sqawk 7000"
Me: "Sqawking 7000, HB-XXX"
(pause)
Me: "HB-XXX, was the climb to 7000 feet approved??"
Twr: "HB-XXX, report when passing 7000 feet" (huh, I guess it was approved)

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

bri2k1

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 41):

Sounds like some trainees to me. I've never had controllers that confused at my home field, even on a really bad day.

Quoting Xjramper (Reply 39):
4. Four

It's "fower," per the AIM, section 4-2-6. From table 4-2-2:
A AL-FAH
B BRAH-VOH
C CHAR-LEE or SHAR-LEE
D DELL-TAH
E ECK-OH
F FOKS-TROT
G GOLF
H HOH-TEL
I IN-DEE-AH
J JEW-LEE-ETT
K KEY-LOH
L LEE-MAH
M MIKE
N NO-VEM-BER
O OSS-CAH
P PAH-PAH
Q KEH-BECK
R ROW-ME-OH
S SEE-AIR-RAH
T TANG-GO
U YOO-NEE-FORM or OO-NEE-FORM
V VIK-TAH
W WISS-KEY
X ECKS-RAY
Y YANG-KEY
Z ZOO-LOO
1 WUN
2 TOO
3 TREE
4 FOWER
5 FIFE
6 SIX
7 SEV-EN
8 AIT
9 NIN-ER
0 ZEE-RO

In the AFROTC, I learned it as "KAY-BECK," not "KEH-BECK," but I'm not in the Air Force now, am I?  Smile
Position and hold

noelg

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 32):
Whenever they tell me to orbit for a Dash/146 that hasn't been pushed back yet!!

Totally with you on that, same as if you're sharing the circuit at EMA with an A340 or similar that train there (they do left circuits we do right). You're forever orbiting! Plus there's the old situation where you're about to turn short final and land, and there's an A320 or ERJ145 descending through FL60 about 10 minutes out - it's not like my wake in a PA28 is going to affect them!

The other thing that annoys me is not so much with ATC, but when you're on short final about to get your landing clearance, and someone calls up "East Midlands Tower, Cessna GBGGO, Type Cessna 152, Gamston to East Midlands, eight miles to the north of Trowell reporting point, request clearance to transition airspace".

Now approaching the threshold. Twr: "G-BGGO good afternoon, East Midlands Tower, continue approach, you're number two to a PA28 on short final, call on base".

Now over the threshold and starting to fly along the runway.

"Continue number two, will call on base, G-GO"

Still flying along the runway, 50ft, 60kts...

Me: "Tower G-RY, am I cleared to land please"

Twr: "Oh sorry, yes cleared to land runway 27, G-RY".

Touch down about half way along!

So annoying, when the runway's clear and you want to land but can't! Thank goodness for EMA's long runway!

Cheers,
Noel

bri2k1

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting Noelg (Reply 43):
Me: "Tower G-RY, am I cleared to land please"

A little tidbit of politeness I learned from my very first flight instructor: Instead of asking the tower "Uh, am I, uh, cleared for...you know" because that makes it apparent the controller has made a mistake, try asking, "Tower, Cessna 12345, Sequence?"

I use this at my home airport all the time when they've asked me to extend downwind for 3 or 4 straight-in arrivals and I'm about to exit the Class D airspace on my huge downwind. It sounds much more professional and doesn't imply anyone made any mistakes...the controllers at APA seem appreciative, anyway.
Position and hold

IAHFLYR

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:44 pm

It drives me crazy when the Boston center controllers say "tree" instead of the number "three

That's how someone after many years of research determined was clearly understood......but the FIFE....we just call it climb and maintain BARNEY thousand!  Smile)

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:19 pm

Last night.
Pushback was approved by ATC even though there was an Emirates A343 taxying along.Thereafter a reminder needed to be given.Following some confusion.Probably the AT controller was stressed.
regds
MEL

noelg

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting Bri2k1 (Reply 44):
, try asking, "Tower, Cessna 12345, Sequence?"

Good tip, but when you're halfway along the runway hovering at 50ft waiting for clearance, not sure if it would work the same!  Wink

jeffry747

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 pm

You guys want some really irritating ATC? Play FS9!
C'mon Big B, FLY!

miller22

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:04 pm

"Say again, I was on the landline" (Yeah right)

Or my favorite is the JFK ground controllers who will NEVER admit they screwed up...

JFK Ground - "Comair I thought I told you to hold short of Yankee on Double November! Say position."
Comair - "Holding short of Yankee on double November."
JFK Ground - "Get it right next time, Comair."