TheSonntag
Topic Author

Do Airliners Have A Key?

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:17 am

I am sorry if this has been asked before (I would think so), but do airliners have a key or anything which would prevent somebody just going inside, starting APU and engines and take off?

I tried the search, but didn't really find anything as key gave a lot of results...

2H4

RE: Do Airliners Have A Key?

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:18 am

Intentionally Left Blank

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:21 am

Thank you, I knew it had been discussed before...

Fokker Lover

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Thread starter):
do airliners have a key or anything which would prevent somebody just going inside, starting APU and engines and take off?

Yes, on the older planes it's a huge skeleton key. About 40cm long and 20cm high. It's connected to the biggest damn rabbits foot you ever saw. The newer Boeings are connected to a giant remote starter button that flashes the lights and chirps when the pilots activate it. (It takes two pilots to use it because of the size.) Don't tell anybody, but we usually hide it under the mat.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

2H4

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:30 pm

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 3):
Yes, on the older planes it's a huge skeleton key.

Modern widebodies have progressed far beyond yesterday's skeleton keys:

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

DeltaGuy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:40 pm

The thing that prevents people from going inside any airliner and firing it up is simply pulling the jetway back...the damn thing is so squirrly that it'd take a pretty determined soul to get it up to the jet so you could board  Wink

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

kaddyuk

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:32 pm

In modern jets no...

You will find keys in GA aircraft as they often sit in places accessable to the public...

An jet aircraft however sat on an airfield is in a pretty secure place and anyone who wished to "take" one would have to know what they were doing... Its not a matter of getting inside and just starting the engines...

Even if they managed to get airborne, it wouldnt take long before they were shot down by the airforce of the country they were in... (unless they were in a country that really doesnt give a f*ck)
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:42 pm

Actually many Russian airliners have locks on the entry and cargo doors. Also, the C-54 could be padlocked and the lower deck cargo doors were closed with a huge key, which doubled as a door handle.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

wing

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:08 am

Lets say one way or another you get into the airplane,alone.How do you think someone can take the airplane into the air?(Assuming that this person already has over 5000 hours on that particular airplane and lets say more he is a employee of that airline so he passed the security and did menaged to get into the airplane)
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

2H4

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Wing (Reply 8):
Lets say one way or another you get into the airplane,alone.How do you think someone can take the airplane into the air?

This guy figured it out:

---------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Andrew Wolcott of Buford, Ga. has been charged with stealing a $7 million Cessna Citation VII from a St. Augustine, Fla. airport.

Wolcott was arrested after investigators interviewed five people who stated that they were on the flight with him when he flew from St. Augustine, Fla. to Gwinnett County Airport-Briscoe near Atlanta on Saturday. Wolcott lives less than 15 miles from the Gwinnett County Airport. A key is not needed to start the aircraft and the aircraft’s transponders were not turned on, so air traffic controllers were unable to monitor the plane.

---------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://www.aviationlawresources.com/html/news.html

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

wing

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 am

Actually I was referring how are you supposed to move an airline airplane on a major airport from a gate to the air without having a ground crew help you out and clearence delivery giving you a clearence (which must have a valid flight plan for that particular registered aircraft) and request a permission to move on the ground,tower etc..

But when I was typing these I remembered that when I was at Embry Riddle in 1999(if I am not mistaken) a CFI walked passed through ramp,started one of the Seminoles,actulally took off and nose dived to side of the runway to commit suicide.

A dedicated soul can do everything but it still is harder to do it with an airliner on a major airport compared to the local FBO.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

HAWK21M

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 7):

Actually many Russian airliners have locks on the entry and cargo doors.

Where do the store the keys.
With Security.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

2H4

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting Wing (Reply 10):
Actually I was referring how are you supposed to move an airline airplane on a major airport from a gate to the air without having a ground crew help you out and clearence delivery giving you a clearence (which must have a valid flight plan for that particular registered aircraft) and request a permission to move on the ground,tower etc..

Ah, gotcha.

I remember that Seminole suicide, too. What a shame.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank