na

Wings, Repainted When The Fuselage Is Repainted?

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:45 pm

An aircraft is stripped and repainted normally at D-check intervals, that means every 6-8 years at average. I assume this does include the wings as well? I´m just asking as I´ve seen pictures of freshly painted aircraft whose wings look quite battered in comparison.

miamiair

RE: Wings, Repainted When The Fuselage Is Repainted?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:59 am

Recalling several "D" Checks, the wings were never stripped. There were times that the wings were painted/re-painted at the customer's request. I have never seen a work card that specified stripping the wings.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Silver1SWA
Crew

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:12 am

When Wn repaints their aircraft to the "new" blue scheme, the wings are painted as well. Not sure about other airlines, but from what I observe at WN, their wings are painted as well. It's one of the easiest ways for me to tell an aircraft has recently been repainted since the wings tend to dirty up rather quickly.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SFOMB67

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting NA (Thread starter):
An aircraft is stripped and repainted normally at D-check intervals

I'm not sure most airlines repaint during a maint. visit anymore. The stripping, sanding and painting will interfere with the mechanics working on the airplane, and there are several vendors that deal with paint only on a visit of its own.
Not as easy as originally perceived

Silver1SWA
Crew

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:45 pm

Quoting Sfomb67 (Reply 3):
I'm not sure most airlines repaint during a maint. visit anymore. The stripping, sanding and painting will interfere with the mechanics working on the airplane, and there are several vendors that deal with paint only on a visit of its own.

I always figured they send it to the paint shop after the maintenance checks prior to sending it back in service.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

atlamt

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:58 pm

At DL the aircraft are on a paint schedule which very rarely matches up with a heavy mx visit. Usually the paint is only touched up during a D check.
Fwd to MCO and Placard

nonfirm

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:02 pm

We send our airplanes to a vendor for paint and most of the time the whole a/c is painted including the wings.