Topic Author

Fly By The Weight Not By The Price

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:00 am

I don't know if you heard about this. I was listening to a late night radio show and the topic was pay for tickets not by the price but by how much you weigh. Their theory was based on the fact that cargo airlines use the weigh system to pay for the boxes they transport, why not the airlines. They say airlines are cargo airlines too, they just transport people not boxes. Also it would be a good incentive for the American people to loose weight. Can airlines operate this way, I don't have much insight on airline operations. Were these guys out of their minds or did they have a point?

RE: Fly By The Weight Not By The Price

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:27 am

I think the one problem about this would be that the airline would only know your weight at check-in and could only bill you then.
This way they will be getting their money later than if you booked and paid for the flight a few weeks earlier.

One fix would be you paying a nominal fee at booking and then pay/get the rest at check-in. This would be better as the airline then keeps it if you don't show up like with normal tickets now.
Or they could introduce weight classes (e.g. 120-130lbs, 130-140lbs etc) and at booking you state that and pay accordingly and at check-in you'd be weighed again.

But I think this would slow check-in down a bit.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:03 am

If you start paying by the pound now your cargo and dont need seats or windows, airlines may like it. Would also be further ammo for those with issues vs orbitz users. So the orbitz user got a ticket for 300$ and you paid 600$ only now the orbitz user is 110lb female and got the ticket for 150$ but your 6'3 275lb ass had to pay 900$....

Not to mention the red blooded american lawsuits to follow.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:05 am

I'm sure such an idea would cause a lot of resistance, and I'm even not sure if it's legitimate considering the quite extensive discrimination laws in most countries. And it wouldn't be fair in all situations, some people are just fat because of diseases, disabilities or other medical reasons. I think with such things in mind this idea is not feasible.

However, being egocentric sometimes I embrace this idea because I would be flying really cheap Big grin
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:39 am

The idea sounds logical only from a "digital" standpoint. If you programmed a computer to come up with a good pricing scheme to maximize profits it might recommend this, but we are not computers... or cargo. We are humans and humanity demands that we be counted as people, not pounds. I would suspect that if the passenger's weight matters that much to an airline then that company would figure out the average weight of the people it flies around then charge based on the average. Oh, yeah, they already do that for weight & balance calculations! So my 100 pound friend overpays and I underpay... but it balances out for us because at 6 feet 2 inches and 215 pounds I am a bit cramped in an economy seat while my friend is comfy as can be!