CYEGsTANKERS

Engine Start-up Durring De-icing!

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:27 am

Has it happened in the past where on a cold morning the flight crew accidentally commence start-up while ground crews are still de-icing?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Richard Barsby - Aviation Photography CYEG

aogdesk

RE: Engine Start-up Durring De-icing!

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:35 am

I know it has, because I've heard of deicing crews being injured (and killed) when hit by jet blast. I believe that its actually permissable under certain circumstances and allowed by some airports/airlines, but I never let it occur. Much too dangerous!!! Flight crews sometimes don't understand what its like to be in a wind blown boom lift, much less while an engine is running.

EMBQA

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting CYEGsTankers (Thread starter):
Has it happened in the past where on a cold morning the flight crew accidentally commence start-up while ground crews are still de-icing?

How do you 'accidently' commence start up...?? It takes thought and action, so by no means is it an accident.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

fr8mech

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:33 pm

I don't see any de-icing in the referenced photo.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

aogdesk

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:51 pm

LOl....good point. I glanced over the 'accidentally' portion of that inquiry. Accidentally starting an engine .......hhhmmmmm......oxymoronic....??

wing

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting CYEGsTankers (Thread starter):

Airplane engines start in a series of actions which can not occur accidently and keep continueing accidently.Besides these(engine starting,deicing of the aircraft) actions are done with the control and confirmation of the flight crew so there is no chance of anybody spraying the airplane without the knowledge of captain.So what I can say is the chances of the incident you are asking is pretty low.

To add something there is no evidence of deicing on the picture of above its only a normal reaction of the cold jet engine in a very cold weather.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

airtran737

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:26 am

They're aren't de-icing in this photo. The NW CFM-56's blow a lot of smoke when they have their first start of the morning in cold climates.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Grbld

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 1):
I know it has, because I've heard of deicing crews being injured (and killed) when hit by jet blast. I believe that its actually permissable under certain circumstances and allowed by some airports/airlines, but I never let it occur. Much too dangerous!!! Flight crews sometimes don't understand what its like to be in a wind blown boom lift, much less while an engine is running.

Howdy Aogdesk, do you mean you won't give the clear signal for engine start during de-icing or you don't allow de-icing with running engines?

HAWK21M

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 6):
They're aren't de-icing in this photo. The NW CFM-56's blow a lot of smoke when they have their first start of the morning in cold climates

Exactly.It looks like a Start up on a cold day.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)