louA340

Ground Radar At Airports

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Hi all,
I have been wondering how the tower is able to keep track of aircrafts moving around the airport and keep them from colliding at busy airports were there are 20+ planes moving round at a given time. I found out they use ground radar to monitor them.
I wanted to know how exactly this works.Is it the same as the regular air radar? Is it the same equipment? How do the guys at ATC know where the planes are?
Thanks in advance.
RyEng

corey07850

RE: Ground Radar At Airports

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Go here to see all about the system:
http://www.asdex.net/index.htm

To answer your other questions, the controllers know where other planes are simply by experience. ASDE-X is a fairly new tool, and isn't in use in that many places so controllers are forced to know where everyone is based solely on memory and experience. Of course they will sometimes have to ask the pilots to verify their position, or they may write notes down or something, but for the most part it is based on skill

LH4U

RE: Ground Radar At Airports

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:04 am

Hi there,

Ground controllers use multiple methods to verify the position of aircraft. Conditions permitting visually (directly or by camera), ASMR (Airport surface movement radar) provides primairy targets (green spots) and in the last couple of years airports started to use secondary ground movement radar, which provides targets with data tags (flight number).

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 1):
To answer your other questions, the controllers know where other planes are simply by experience

The controllers know by experience that a lot of cockpit crews sometimes go where they´re not supposed to... Wink

cheers