flyinTLow

Sunglasses For Flight

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:54 am

Hi everyone once again!

I am posting this in the Tech/Ops forum cause I'm hoping a lot of people with actual experience with my question can share their experience with me:

As a student pilot I am going to start my practical flight lessons starting July in Phoenix, AZ. That means there is no way of avoiding purchasing a pair of sunglasses. So my question to all the pilots out there:

- what sunglasses do you have?

- what are your experiences with them?

- what kind of sunglasses do you recommend? (e.g. Aviators, polarized lenses)

- what color of lenses do you recommend?

All of those questions in respect to both flying small aircrafts as well as airliners (with LCD screens, etc.).

Any comments or links with further information are very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Thilo

P.S.: sorry if this topic has been discussed, a quick search didn't reveal anything to me...
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

Pihero

RE: Sunglasses For Flight

Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:32 am

You're right ! Glare can be fierce in Arizona in July !
I ha ve used the classical Ray-Ban for decades, but i found that the green lenses somehow prevent a good reading of the instruments in a glass cockpit.
Then, ten years ago, a friend of mine presented me a pair of grey lensed Randolph (simply called "the aviator") and I've used them ever since.
I advise avoiding these trendy new surfer type glasses as you could 1/= sweat into them, and 2/- you're bound to see some vision distorsion, or worse a complete blank-out of a given colour, the red in general.
Some friends swear by the Serengeti range,too and they seem better in hazy conditions...
So the choice is still yours, but go for a reputed brand with good optical lenses, go for practicality, not for looks or fashion.
Polarized lenses are an ABSOLUTE NO-NO as quite a lot of aviation lights are polarised. You might find yourself in a potentially dangerous situation if you can't see the lights !
And get a comfortable baseball cap, too !
Contrail designer

futureualpilot

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting Pihero (Reply 1):
I ha ve used the classical Ray-Ban for decades

My dad gave me his old pair of Serengetis to wear when I fly and I love them. The ear pieces are small enough that they allow my headset to create a good seal and keep out most of the engine noise, but the lenses cover most of my vision without discoloring my charts at all. I agree with Pihero, go for functionality, not looks...I look like a bug of sorts with them on, but I wear a different, polarized pair of Optic Nerve glasses for everything but flying.

I do agree that polarized lenses are probably a negative thing when flying, as well as be careful of the lens cover.
Life is better when you surf.

flyinTLow

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:28 pm

ok, sorry about that.

But then again, am I doing anything wrong with the search function? I typed sunglasses and got zero results...

And thanks for the comments before!
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

longhauler

Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting FlyinTLow (Reply 4):
ok, sorry about that

FlyinTLow, don't sweat it. The search function cumbersome at best, and you'll often miss previous message strings.

I have used Serengetis for years. They give good protection from the sun, while allowing good visibility to the glass cockpit instruments. I had to change from my age old Ray-Bans, as the G15 Grey lens would not allow me to see the CRTs in some light.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Skyslave

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:30 am

Quoting Pihero (Reply 1):
Then, ten years ago, a friend of mine presented me a pair of grey lensed Randolph (simply called "the aviator") and I've used them ever since.

I just did a little research on these, and I'm totally ordering a pair. Now it comes down to gold frame, or chrome frame? Watch for my Oakley Wardens to pop-up on ebay.

mikkel777

Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:21 am

I did buy a new one today, my old pair of Ray-Ban had a few scratches. Tried both Randolph and Oakley whisker
http://www.sunglasshut.com/sghus.cfm...egory=sunglasses&nproductid=160092
, but as last time, I bought Ray-Ban. Needed something that fits under Bose X, and the Oakley pair were just too big. The Randolph did not fit my head and felt uncomfortable. Had brown glass earlier, green today. Going to try it on monday
http://www.sunglasshut.com/sghus.cfm...egory=sunglasses&nproductid=155993

Of course not polarized, that is a no-no

xjramper

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:47 pm

If you have a few extra dollars, I do highly recommend the Oakley Half Jackets. I received three lense sets (ultra protection, overcast style, and twilight lense) and a hard case. They were not cheap, however, i can wear them up until final (if I am the PIC, i never wear sunglasses when I am landing). I can still see the GPS plain as day and they usually dont glare. I bought mine at www.avshop.com.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

bri2k1

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:29 pm

Quoting Xjramper (Reply 8):
if I am the PIC, i never wear sunglasses when I am landing

Not even when you're landing into the sun?? This is not a good idea at all, especially if you're switching on final. The time it will take for your eyes to readjust will result in a period of momentary blindness at one of the most critical phases of flight. Out of curiosity, what is your motivation for this?
Position and hold

Starlionblue

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting Skyslave (Reply 6):
Now it comes down to gold frame, or chrome frame?

You mean pimp or non?  Wink Please go with the chrome...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

cptspeaking

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:35 am

Gotta go with the classic pilot shades - Ray Bans.

A friend of mine wears Serengetis (sp?) though and loves them. I tried them once on a hazy afternoon and they cut right through the haze...quite amazing actually...

Your CptSpeaking  wave 
...and don't call me Shirley!!

cancidas

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:07 am

IMO, there is but one option... Oakley. since i wear an Rx they're the only company that i've trsted over the years to provide me with a comforatabe and reliable eyeglass. they may be expensive, but they're worth the money. i have a few pairs now, mostly XXs and titnium chains. also just got a pair of whys.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

mirrodie

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:30 pm

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...h_ops/read.main/149181/6/#ID149181

I posted my opinion here. You are going to get a lot of opinions here but I'd like to think mine is the most informed opinion you will have. For every pilot that loves Polaroids, there is one that hates them.

a quality pair of polaroids, made by someone who knows what they are doing, is best.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

xjramper

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting Bri2k1 (Reply 9):
Not even when you're landing into the sun?? This is not a good idea at all, especially if you're switching on final. The time it will take for your eyes to readjust will result in a period of momentary blindness at one of the most critical phases of flight. Out of curiosity, what is your motivation for this?

The aircraft that I fly have sunshades that block the sun just fine. I never wear sunglasses on final because I am more comfortable landing with them off. Nothing scientific, its just easier on me. And i dont take them off right on final, they usually come off on the 45 for downwind.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

radelow

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:15 am

My bet for any job/activity that might involve bright sunlight and/or glare are Maui Jim's.

http://www.mauijims.com

CosmicCruiser

Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting Radelow (Reply 15):
My bet for any job/activity that might involve bright sunlight and/or glare are Maui Jim's.

Be careful most Maui Jims are polarized.

Starlionblue

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:04 am

Quoting FlyinTLow (Thread starter):

http://www.mauijims.com

I love my Maui's. Sooo lightweight, comfortable and durable. However as mentioned they are typically polarized.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

CosmicCruiser

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:10 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 17):
Sooo lightweight, comfortable and durable

Check out Vedalo HD they're nice.

airbuster

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:27 am

are you going to be a Lufthansa Bonanza in Goodyear? Watch out for them KLM/Sabena PA28's....you're gonna have a wild and fun time flying around AZ! And i flew around AZ with a pair of rayban aviators...

regards

AB
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

ThirtyEcho

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:35 am

Another reason to avoid polarized lenses:

Ever caught sight of another airplane in flight because the sun glint caused a short flash off the aluminum? Polarized lenses will block the flash; not a good idea.

soon7x7

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:38 pm

I use Serengeti's in gliders and Rayban Wayfarers w/ G-15 glass in power...both worked very well in Tucson and Florida, though based in NY. I like the Serengetis best as they cut glare best without the hassle of polorization...

pliersinsight

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:52 pm

- what sunglasses do you have?

Serengeti

- what are your experiences with them?

Excellent glare reduction, I even wear them in overcast while driving, sharpens the image. Lousy durability but I destroy every pair of sunglasses I have ever owned in less than 18 months.

- what kind of sunglasses do you recommend? (e.g. Aviators, polarized lenses)

No polarized. Insturment glass is sometimes polarized, thus you can't see through it. Plus polarized lenses screw up your view of LCD stuff.

- what color of lenses do you recommend?

The standard brown.

All of those questions in respect to both flying small aircrafts as well as airliners (with LCD screens, etc.).

Any comments or links with further information are very much appreciated!

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/

Sam's Club usually has them pretty cheap.