Mir
Topic Author

"Continental Ramp Procedures" At EWR?

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:09 pm

Sometimes on the ATIS at EWR I hear "Continental ramp procedures in effect." Does anyone know what those procedures are?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Bobster2

RE: "Continental Ramp Procedures" At EWR?

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:02 am

"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

fly727

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:54 pm

This also happens at IAH.... There is absolutely no information on my NOTAMS about it nor in my airline's INternal NOTAMS.

When I go there I just do the standard thing... Tower, ground and finally ramp. I don't call'em anything in particular, just the normal stuff... "Ramp control good day, XXX at Sierra Foxtrot parking gate 16"

But I'd love to learn about it!

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

KAUSpilot

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:17 pm

Late at night, the ramp tower will shut down, usually around 11PM. This message is in the ATIS simply to let the pilots know that the ramp tower is still open, and you will need to contact ramp at the appropriate time on the taxi-in or prior to pushback.

At EWR, ramp control is actually responsible for a large portion of the taxiways on the north side of the airport. My airline has charts depicting the control boundaries between ground and ramp. In EWR, there is no verbal handoff from ground to ramp....the pilot is expected to do it on their own at the appropriate time. In IAH ground control will usually tell you when they want you to contact ramp, same in CLE, CVG, ATL, LAX, ORD, etc etc. At most airports it's usually pretty obvious when you need to contact ramp....not the case at EWR, especially if you're using the continental terminals.

JOSEMEX

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:13 am

Quoting Fly727 (Reply 2):
gate 16"

So you're flying for CO now?  Wink

corey07850

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting JoseMEX (Reply 4):
So you're flying for CO now? Wink

Nah, CO doesn't have a gate 16 at EWR  Smile

10mid

Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:52 am

This also happens at IAH

When I go there

E16 at IAH is right off SF.

JOSEMEX

Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 5):
Nah, CO doesn't have a gate 16 at EWR  

He's talking about IAH:  Smile

This also happens at IAH

EssentialPowr

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:33 pm

Just about any hub has a ramp freq, which is typically under the control of the resident airline. The purpose is to optimize flow to the (FAA's) ground/clearance delivery freqs, which are essentially "first come, first served"...

IAHFLYR

Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:08 pm

At IAH the ramp towers are located above the north and south fingers of Terminal C and they don't have the best view of Terminal A at all.....and the ramp procedures like most of the hub cities are in effect to help with pushbacks and not get the ramps too tied up, that seems like more of a wish than reality at IAH lately!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

KAUSpilot

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:22 pm

The ramp towers at IAH are actually pretty neat....on the south side they have remote cameras which they use to monitor pushbacks along the east side of the terminal. They've got some interesting software up there too which gives them info about each flight number.

The west side of terminal A is actually uncontrolled...that's where Colgan and United park I believe.

Still haven't had a chance to make it up to the EWR ramp tower, but I hear it's pretty nice as well.

IAHFLYR

Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:53 pm

Yep they do have some neat stuff and believe it or not the tower also has some of it, wonder when they will actually use it!  Smile Having said all about the equipment there has to be a better way to get you guys into and out of the ramps....gridlock we get to at times due to the arrival acceptance rate at IAH at times landing west being in the 120/hour but can't get the departures out that fast so they clog up the ramps. Colgan, United and all their RJ flights, Delta and their RJ flights as well might be caught on the cameras at Terminal A westside at times.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.