onetogo

Captain's Duties When First Officer Is PF

Tue May 02, 2006 9:32 am

Quick and simple question: If the first officer is PF (Pilot Flying) and the Captain is PNF (Pilot Not Flying/Monitoring) then the first officer will most likely have a hand on the throttles throughout the approach sequence and landing. My question is, how can the captain possibly manuver his hand (on the left), around the first officers hand on the throttle, to the flap lever which is on the far right hand side of the pedastal? How about landing gear? It seems like in some aircraft, the Captain would literally need to totally lay his body across the pedastal in order to reach the gear lever (right infront of the first officer).

One more question that has come to mind: Are there are actions that the First Officer takes while acting as PNF compared to when the Captain is PNF? How about when the First Officer is PF compared to when the Captain is PF? All duties still the same? Thanks in advance.

flyf15

RE: Captain's Duties When First Officer Is PF

Tue May 02, 2006 10:22 am

There are some items that are specifically for the captain, some that are specifically for the FO, and some for PF/PNF. In my airplane (the CRJ), the Landing Gear is extended by the PNF.

AirWillie6475

Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 am

There is no difference between the FO and Captain as far as actual flying. They both do the same thing. All duties are the same. That's why some FOs are bitter about the big difference in pay. And to answer your first question most cockpits are cramped, it's easy to reach out and touch the FO much less the landing gear handle.

CX Flyboy

Tue May 02, 2006 10:55 am

Different airlines and different aircraft types have different procedures as to how many of the duties are assigned to PF/PNF regardless of rank.

In my company, the PF does the taxiing and PNF does the walkaround. This is regardless of who is captain or FO, rain or snow.

The things which are assigned for the captain regardless of whether he is PF or PNF are; completing and signing the logbook, checking the validity of the aircraft licences, doing the passenger announcements, acting as PF for an autoland/LWMO.

As for the pay issue, as pilots we tend to get paid for our knowledge and what we are trained to do on that one day where we need to pull our resources together and save the day. The day to day flight where nothing out of the ordinary happens is fairly simple, but the reason we command higher pay than average is for our experience and that one day where we 'earn our pay'. A captain has far more experience than an FO (in general) and thus commands a higher pay. I think that is fair, otherwise what is the point of becomming captain?

Woodreau

Tue May 02, 2006 11:46 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 2):
There is no difference between the FO and Captain as far as actual flying. They both do the same thing. All duties are the same. That's why some FOs are bitter about the big difference in pay

Does the FO sign the dispatch release and does the FO have ultimate responsibility for the aircraft? Rhetorical question, because I believe you already know this.

As one captain kind of remarked to me, being an FO means you can almost do just about anything and get away with it - after all it's the captain's ticket. - not exactly true, because in an incident they're going to investigate the crew not just the captain. But the FO isn't ultimately responsible for the aircraft and all onboard.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

pilotaydin

Fri May 05, 2006 9:07 pm

Quoting Onetogo (Thread starter):
Captain is PNF (Pilot Not Flying/Monitoring)

Im not being a smartass, just want to add some more detail seeing as it's our duty as aviators. PNF term is slowly becomming obsolete, it is now called PM - pilot monitoring
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

FlyingColours

Sat May 06, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 5):
Im not being a smartass, just want to add some more detail seeing as it's our duty as aviators. PNF term is slowly becomming obsolete, it is now called PM - pilot monitoring

Just to drop in a quick question of my own here, I know that BEA used to have "Monitoring Pilots" (an additional pilot who would observe the flightcrew and help if requested), do airlines do this any more (I haven't seen it done personally).

PNF does seem to imply that he/she does nothing at all but I thought that maybe if PM was still being used at some airlines then the term could get "mashed".

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

SlamClick

Sun May 07, 2006 12:40 am

The main difference between first officer PNF duties and captain PNF duties is that the first officer is far more likely to remember to do his.

This is okay so long as the captain 'buys' on layovers.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

onetogo

Sun May 07, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 5):

No worries at all. I was not aware that the terminology was changing. Thanks for the heads up.

pilotaydin

Sun May 07, 2006 6:00 am

sure thing, and you can always count on Slamclick for a wise analysis on what's up with an excellent comical twist...

slamclick, the Frasier crane of a.net  Smile

2H4

Sun May 07, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 9):
slamclick, the Frasier crane of a.net

So who's Niles?  Smile

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

pilotaydin

Sun May 07, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):
So who's Niles?

damn it! good question....help me out!!

2H4

Sun May 07, 2006 8:03 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 11):
damn it! good question....help me out!!

Hmmm....well, it would have to be a polite, proper, and very intelligent Tech-Opper. Someone who always does the right thing, and is constantly striving to be the top in his field....

...Mel, perhaps?

Smile

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Starlionblue

Sun May 07, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting Onetogo (Thread starter):
My question is, how can the captain possibly manuver his hand (on the left), around the first officers hand on the throttle, to the flap lever which is on the far right hand side of the pedastal? How about landing gear? It seems like in some aircraft, the Captain would literally need to totally lay his body across the pedastal in order to reach the gear lever (right infront of the first officer).

As AirWillie6475 pointed out, most cockpits really aren't that large. A normal sized human can easily reach everything, even on a 747.

I understand some of the military cargo planes have wider cockpits though. Sometimes this will entail duplication of throttles and other controls.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo