JulianUK
Topic Author

Practice Go Arounds - Training

Mon May 22, 2006 3:13 am

Is there ever a time that you would, on a commercial airliner actually practice a go around for real? I assume because of how busy most airports are that there is no time or space for a training pilot to order the trainee to go around purely for practice sakes. However I would have thought that doing so would not only be good practice but would also keep air traffic on their toes as it would be an ideal opportunity for a new air traffic controller to experience a real life event - or is practising this always simulator based?

J

Ralgha

RE: Practice Go Arounds - Training

Mon May 22, 2006 3:20 am

Most places probably only practice them in the simulator. At my company we do one flight check in the middle of the night before IOE. Mostly pattern work, and normally a go-around is done once.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

PhilSquares

Mon May 22, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 1):
Most places probably only practice them in the simulator. At my company we do one flight check in the middle of the night before IOE. Mostly pattern work, and normally a go-around is done once.

Most airlines have a "zero flight time" simulator program where aircraft training isn't necessary. So any missed approaches/go arounds are conducted in the simulator. In addition every check I've ever had there was a requirement for a missed approach to be accomplished.
Fly fast, live slow

Starlionblue

Mon May 22, 2006 8:27 am

I saw an SK 340 do five touch and go circuits at MMX a few years back. I presume they weren't just out for a joyride.  Wink This was when SK had recently put the 340 in service.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

VuelingAirbus

Mon May 22, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 2):
Most airlines have a "zero flight time" simulator program where aircraft training isn't necessary.

Lucky me... my company did on my MD and Airbus rating a base training. Empty aircraft, lots of fuel and 4 new guys and off you go to a not so busy airport and do tons of visual patterns, go arounds (even single engine) and touch and goes...

PhilSquares

Mon May 22, 2006 9:09 am

The bounces in the aircraft vs. simulator training is driven by one's experience. The "zero flight time" program is used by most airlines. However, there are experience requirements that vary from CAA to CAA. Personally, I've never done bounces in the aircraft, although I have, as an instructor, given them many times.
Fly fast, live slow

jspitfire

Thu May 25, 2006 3:01 am

Conair does their spring training in Abbotsford every year for the upcoming summer forest fire season, and they are always doing practice approaches and go arounds. I imagine this is because there are no simulators for these old aircraft, such as the CL-215, DC-6, CV-580, Firecats.

Jason

ba299

Sat May 27, 2006 5:36 pm

UK CAA prescribe for real flight for all new type rating. During these flight go-around and touch-and-go are performed.

fly727

Sat May 27, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting VuelingAirbus (Reply 4):
Lucky me... my company did on my MD and Airbus rating a base training. Empty aircraft...

Tell me about it! Although not in the aircraft, just 3 hours ago I was done, exhausted to say the least, a 5-hour sim session. Great this training is over, I'd go nuts if I do anymore abnormals.

5 go-arounds, hand-flown and single-engine make your leg HURT!

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

levent

Sat May 27, 2006 8:05 pm

In my old company (in Holland) new pilots had to do circuit training in the real thing including eight patterns, with various touch and go's and at least one go-around.