ba97

Boeing Destroyed DeHavilland Jigs?

Thu May 25, 2006 12:25 pm

Years ago when Boeing bought Dehavilland, I was told a story by some DHC folks of Boeing destroying the jigs and plans for the Twin Otter, Buffalo and some other aircraft. At the time it was indicated to me that this eliminated the ability to produce spares which was a significant business and also held the promise for future development or modification of existing aircraft.

I know DHC was in trouble in the 1970s and was passed around through different owners but this story, the way it was told had a bit of bitterness as Boeing unloaded DHC rather quickly and labour issues at the facility in the 1970s were stressful at best.

My questions are a) does this story hold water? b) is this a common activity when one company takes over another-thinking of Boeing and McDonnell Douglas?
there is economy class, business class, first class...then Concorde..pure class

WrenchBender

RE: Boeing Destroyed DeHavilland Jigs?

Fri May 26, 2006 12:56 am

There are several companies who hold licences or licensing agreements to manufacture parts for DHC aircraft. Field Aviation in Calgary for the DHC 4 and 5, Viking in Victoria for the 2,3,6 and 7. Viking recently aquired the entire rights to the out of production line from Bombardier.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

aeroweanie

Fri May 26, 2006 1:14 am

I don't know about the jigs, but I do know that Boeing discovered that they had inherited a huge environmental problem when they bought DHC. They spent more cleaning up the Downsview site then they paid for the company. They later got the Canadian government to reimburse them for some of the costs of the clean up.

HAWK21M

Fri May 26, 2006 5:33 pm

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 1):
They spent more cleaning up the Downsview site then they paid for the company

What was the Cleaning about.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Dougloid

Sat May 27, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 3):
Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 1):
They spent more cleaning up the Downsview site then they paid for the company

regds
MEL

You don't want to ask those kinda questions....I figure that Boeing also scrapped the wing jigs for the MD11, they were made in Canada too.

But they'll have to do the cleanup under the old MDC facilities in Torrance and Long Beach...and I say, screw 'em.....they're welcome to it, much good may it do them. Pricks.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

aeroweanie

Wed May 31, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 3):

Soil and groundwater contamination from spills of fuels and industrial chemicals.

HAWK21M

Wed May 31, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 5):
Soil and groundwater contamination from spills of fuels and industrial chemicals.

Sounds like they may have had some Environmental support group protests.
regds
MEL

northstardc4m

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:28 am

Boeing did scrap the Twotter jigs after it closed the line, this is a common occurance. I believe they did the same with the assembly jigs for the Dash 7 as well.

As for the site, yes it was an environmental nightmare. The plant was unfinished in places (just a metal box with a dirt floor no electrical/insulation/HVAC/etc), had massive soil contamination problems, electrical system problems... not to mention the massively demoralized workforce.

Took Boeing almost 6 months to pass a workplace safety inspection, and 3 years to get the plant to just pass an environmental inspection. As Boeing said, they bought a great commuter plane (the Dash 8), at a price that was too good to be true and ended up making up the difference.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

aeroweanie

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 7):
Took Boeing almost 6 months to pass a workplace safety inspection,

When I was given a shop tour in 1991, the supervisors still wore ties - around machine tools! I sure hope they were clip-ons.

HAWK21M

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:44 pm

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 8):
When I was given a shop tour in 1991, the supervisors still wore ties - around machine tools! I sure hope they were clip-ons.

Did you ask them why.Well they'd probably say " To check the Oil level"  biggrin 

regds
MEL