FlyDeltaJets
Topic Author

Ramp Closure

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:28 am

What is your stations local policy of closing the ramp? Ours a JFK is definitely inadequate because two guys got struck by lightning on Thursday before they decided to shut it down.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

charlienorth

RE: Ramp Closure

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:23 am

At ORD the policy is ground strikes within airport boundaries and that is stretched,it is up to the duty managers at the airlines,they don't want to shut things down,they are supposed to turn on lights on top of the terminals,C concourse and H/K concourse,a lot of times people will say "screw it,this job isn't worth getting killed over"and head inside before the lights come on,every union I have been in has advised us when you see ground strikes within the field don't wait for the lights,use your best judgement and go inside.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

aogdesk

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:44 am

Ours calls for closure if lightining is within 5 miles of the airport. Actually getting mgmt to follow thru on that is nearly impossible, but I tell all the rampers myself to get inside. I refuse to see someone get hurt or killed before they get serious about the issue.

Are those two guys alright?

amtrosie

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:42 am

Good question!
I personally have had a few close calls, and have instructed anyone servicing my plane to get out if it is between 3 and 5 miles away. That being said, it ultimately comes down to the individuals on the ramp.

FlyDeltaJets
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 2):
Are those two guys alright?

They came back to work today.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

charlienorth

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:47 am

AOGdesk..that's what happens at ORD,when I was in the SOC at an airline the duty manager was reluctant to pull the plug before the other big airline did,folks would be calling in on their radios telling about lightning strikes even starting brush fires,like I said before use your best judgement and CYA.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

bri2k1

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:31 pm

At DEN, at least, on the (rather expansive) UA ramp area, no chances are taken. I can only speak as a passenger, but it seems (from many experiences) that any strikes in the near vicinity are cause to shut down the entire ramp. I've been inconvenienced by it many times, but as all professional aviators realize, safety is the #1 most important thing in aviation, and I've always 'suffered' in silence. Much better I'm a few minutes later to my destination than anyone suffers injury or, God forbid, death.
Position and hold

r311music

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:02 pm

At WN, if lightning strike is within three miles of the airport, they close the ramp.
confusing use of time

jspitfire

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:56 pm

At YVR, lightning within 5 miles = fueling stops, and within 3 miles = ramp closes.

Jason

HAWK21M

Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:01 pm

How is Info Conveyed.Is it a Circular or by Telephone.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

LVTMB

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:07 pm

I believe MIA closes its ramp when there is lightning. Last week that cause my flight to leave 3 hours late.

MB

RNOcommctr

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:46 am

At RNO, we never completely close the ramp, but we do suspend all fueling operations if we have lightning within 5 miles of the airport. I work in Communications and we call all the FBO's and fuelers, plus we do a ringdown on a phone that goes into all the airline operations areas. We also do text messages to groups of airport management in case they get calls about why flights were delayed.

Operations has a gadget to determine lightning distance, but normally the determination is made by known landmarks around the airport. The tower also assists Operations in reporting nearby lightning strikes and making estimates of distance.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

cancidas

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:36 am

we have a lightning detector in the tower, thing that at 5 miles it turns yellow and at 3 miles its red. when its red, then its up to the judegement of the tower lead and manager on duty. if its storming outside and lightning strikes are obvious then theyll close it down. if it's a blue sky day and the box goes red, they dont.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

GQfluffy

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:08 am

BIL, AFAIK, doesn't have a policy. When we think it's close enough...we get our arses back inside. We got chewed out by Dispatch the other night because we wouldn't load a flight untill the storm had passed and it made the flight 15 minutes late....  talktothehand 
This isn't where I parked my car...

HAWK21M

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Last night there was Lightening in the Skies.With light rain at BOM.

Is there any Precautions of using Cellphones during a Thunderstorm.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)