Beaucaire
Topic Author

Magnetohydrodynamic -is It A Viable Road To Follow

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:34 am

Magnetohydrodynamic priciples have been discussed in many research-experiments and articles.
Being not an expert in propulsion systems,I'd like to know if this is a potentially interesting technology for future propulsion systems applied to aircraft. It has been applied and used for submarines.
Tjan ks for any insight on if this is complete scienc fiction or some applications become available within the next ten years?
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

bhmbaglock

RE: Magnetohydrodynamic -is It A Viable Road To Follow

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:55 am

Dr. Leik Myrabo from RPI is one of the main pushers behind this. When I was taking his classes back in the 80's I was impressed with the idea but somewhat dubious of its practicality. However, he has done some pretty impressive experiments and it could be practical in a few decades.

Do a google for his name and you will find lots of info; fortunately it googles well as it's a bit more distinctive than John Smith for example.

As I recall, the biggest obstacles to making this practical are:

1. Laser power
2. High temp materials
3. Optics able to handle the high power densities required
4. I'm sure there's more but those occur straight away

The experiments he's run to date are sort of brute force using the laser to cause detonation of the air itself. His concept is to use this for initial boost and then after sufficient velocity is attained(M 5-8 IIRC) transition to what he calls an MHD fanjet powered by a ground or space based laser.

He's written several books on the subject and I don't even know how many papers. If you're really interested then shoot him an e-mail - he'll certainly cover you up with info as he's a bit the crusader type when it comes to this.

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/mane/deptweb/faculty/member/myrabo.html
Where are all of my respected members going?

kaddyuk

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:58 am

For those who dont speak Geek  duck 

This is what Wiki has to say

Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) (magnetofluiddynamics or hydromagnetics), is the academic discipline which studies the dynamics of electrically conducting fluids. Examples of such fluids include plasmas, liquid metals, and salt water. The word magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) is derived from magneto- meaning magnetic field, and hydro- meaning fluid, and -dynamics meaning movement. The field of MHD was initiated by Hannes Alfvén, for which he received the Nobel Prize in 1970.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Blackbird

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:27 am

You know imagine a pulse-detonation wave system that used a detonation of fuel/air, then used a laser to detonate air, then a fuel air-detonation. Coudln't that provide a seamless vibrationless flight?