CalAir
Topic Author

Approach And Departures From 06/24 At MAN

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:38 pm

I dont know if any flightdeck can help on here, but when a/c are on approach to runway 06 in fine weather, do you actually just head for Jodrell Bank for a visual approach? I was told that a few years ago, in the 1980's, pilots would navigate inbound by looking out of the huge Finefare supermarket in newcastle under lyme,with its green and orange cladding (voted one of the most hideous buildings in Britain), then proceed to Jodrell Bank near Crewe for a straight in approach. Is this right or is someone pulling my leg?
British Caledonian...we never forget, you have a choice

wilco737

RE: Approach And Departures From 06/24 At MAN

Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Hi there,

I dont know how it was back in the 80's! I was just a few years old!

But nowadays visual approches got very rare! Well, at least at bigger international airports like MAN! Maybe 10% of all my approaches were visual approaches so far! but only because I flew to Greece or Spain airports where it is still the usual approach.

To MAN I think you get radar vectored ILS approaches in 99% of the time...

WILCO737
 airplane 

Ryanair737

Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:45 am

Info from a MAN local here.  Wink

Quoting CalAir (Thread starter):
I dont know if any flightdeck can help on here, but when a/c are on approach to runway 06 in fine weather, do you actually just head for Jodrell Bank for a visual approach?

That is still very much the case at MAN with regards to general aviation traffic (Cessna’s, Pipers etc.), in both directions. Now though they seem to come over Hilltop rather than Jodrell Bank.

With regards to commercial traffic this isn't the case, and like WILCO737 said, commercial aircraft get radar vectored to the ILS at most airports (including MAN). They are only left to their "own devices" at airfields where the ATC is not particularly great.

Hope that helped!

Cheers
Ryanair737
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

A3204eva

Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:51 am

As has been said, visual approaches at EGCC are very rare (I've never seen/heard one before actually).

About VFR, the reporting points when 06s are in use are Stretton, then Rostherne. 24s are Congleton, then Hill top/Woodford.

Smile
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"