UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

CRJ 200 Aileron Droop

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:54 am

We had a write up today to inspect an aileron. It turns out that with all the hyd. pumps on, the suspect aileron was holding a slight down deflection. The crew didn't report any control difficulties on the inbound flight. They noticed the problem on preflight. The split between the trailing edge of the aileron and the trailing edge of the adjacent flap was some 0.600". Way beyond limits to say the least. The right aileron also exhibited the down deflection, but to a lesser degree. I left before any of the major teardown began, but I did hear that the rig pins were fitting fine so far.

I'm sure I'll find out the answer tomarrow, but any hunches as to what would cause such a large down deflection of the ailerons with no control difficulties? As far as I know, no work was recently performed in the vicinity that would require rigging. Other than needing to be re-rigged, what could cause drooping ailerons on a CRJ-200?

Tangowhisky

RE: CRJ 200 Aileron Droop

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:53 pm

I am not a mechanic but I have a good memory so bear with me. I read recently somewhere that there was premature wear on the input device (tension regulator and/or linkages) causing uncommanded aileron deflections. Apparently it is device that drives the two PCUs and it has some early wear.

Hope this helps

TW.
Only the paranoid survive

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:32 am

The verdict is in. Turns out the cable tensions between the quadrants in the wheel well out to both ailerons was low. Once adjusted, everything fell back into line. I'll file that away for future reference...

MesaMXORD

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:26 pm

Nice to know. Usually our pilots just don't notice the aileron trim was set RWD. You work line or hangar?
MESA - fighting common sense one day at a time

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:44 am

We've had a couple wreite-ups of config trim warnings which turned out to be caused by aileron trim being out of the green or right on the edge of green. It's good to know the system works like it's supposed to Wink

[Edited 2007-02-19 19:47:58]