ariis

Looking For Airliner Parts

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:37 am

Hi there,

this post may sound odd or childish, but I am pretty serious Big grin. I have considered posting this in Aviation Hobby, but I thought I would get absolutely no feedback there. This will be addressed rather to maintenance personnel and/or factory workers.

To put it straight, I am interested in possessing a part of a modern airliner.

I mean part, a piece, will it be a couple of bolts, nuts, screws, screw caps, antenna, fanblade, I would take anything, as long as it belongs to 73G, 744, 757, 767, 777, 32X, 330, 340, 380 airframe or engine structure (limited to A or B, I consider these airliners modern). Since getting brand new parts or bigger parts is obviously unrealistic, I am looking for someone that could perhaps help me getting used ones (e.g. parts replaced with new ones, not needed any more; of course, brand new parts are most welcome).

Is it possible? Do you guys account for every bolt or screw? I would be happy to cover any expense this would involve (but to some extent of course; if I were rich I would go and buy the whole airframe  Wink).

Thanks in advance for your help
FAO

P.S.: Just in case: I am not asking you to steal something for me or what. Only if there is anything that is about to be wasted, perhaps I could benefit.

P.S.2: I know that this belongs rather to Aviation Hobby. If moderators decide to move this thread there, so be it.
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

2H4

RE: Looking For Airliner Parts

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:40 am

http://www.oncealoft.com/

....Have fun!

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

SlamClick

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 1):

Interesting website but I notice that they have some familiar looking pictues there including this one:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm

...without the usual copyright/credit line. Wonder if they have permission?

They are also pretty uninformative about prices.

[Edited 2006-07-18 23:12:03]
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

n8076u

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:15 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 1):
http://www.oncealoft.com/

I've dealt with "Nick" who runs that organization. He's a good guy, and flew with UA as a pilot for many years. If you want a unique item from a real aircraft, this is the way I'd recommend going about it, as you'll be able to get something substantial that isn't normally thrown away, like a control wheel. I know he has a 727 flap track fairing he's been dying to get rid of. That would make quite the conversation piece.  Wink

You can also try ebay as there are tons of stuff on there also.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):
They are also pretty uninformative about prices.

True, but they what they show on the website is just a sampling of their stock. You need to write him and ask about something specific, and he'll let you know what they have on hand at the moment and what the price is.

Chris
Don't blame me, I don't work here...

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:51 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 1):

Nice link.
Thanks for Sharing.How did He get the stuff.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

n8076u

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:02 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):
How did He get the stuff.

He deals with various aircraft scrappers and buys parts by the truckload.

Chris
Don't blame me, I don't work here...

ariis

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 1):

Hey, that is a cool site, thank you!
I think I will take the time and have a look around there.

Thanks again
FAO
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

roseflyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:51 pm

Well I've had lots of things at my desk at work that are scrap parts from production. I have all sorts of little things like pumps, wires and whatnot. In reality though you can't tell what went on what. A gear could go in anything from a 747 to a F-16 or a lawn mower. Unfortunately I can't take anything away from work since they don't allow it after it was found that a scrap IDG (integrated drive generator which provides the electrical power for a plane) somehow made its way onto a plane in service in South America. This was only uncovered when the customer wanted it overhauled and there was no record of the part. Someone got in trouble for pawning off some scrap parts that are worth a lot of money.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

SlamClick

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:11 am

I have a few aircraft parts lying about from various experiences.

• Just gave a triple coach seat, complete with barfbags and briefing cards to my son. It no longer fits anywhere in my house and fills a space in his den neatly.

• A 21" long piece of DC-9 wheel rim that came off my plane during takeoff roll. The tire did not deflate and was replaced at the out station before the plane flew again.

• A piece of the engine core fairing that was lying in the bottom of the fan shroud at the end of a maintenance ferry flight.

• A first-stage compressor blade from a JT-8D with some really ugly damage.

• A DC-9 first officer windshield. Overheated and there are gas bubbles between the layers.

• Various placards.

• A spent, armor-piercing bullet core and yes, it did come out of my plane.

• Then of course there are the odds and ends from steam locomotives but that is another thread.
    Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

LAXinYYZ

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:56 am

Slam,
    Any pictures that you could post?
    "Don't trust any statistic that you didn't falsify yourself"