gopal

Why Should The Fuselage Taper At The End?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:28 am

Why not design commericial aircraft with a uniform cross section till the end ?The vertical and horizontal stabilizers could be attached to the end of the fuselage just the same. This will greatly increase the seating capacity without a significant increase in fuselage length. This will also allow cargo compartment to be installed in the aft of the airplane. Are there drag and lift factors involved ?

Matt72033

RE: Why Should The Fuselage Taper At The End?

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:34 am

are you suggesting a cylender shape like a can of pringles?

Quoting Gopal (Thread starter):
Are there drag and lift factors involved

yes.....huge ones

gopal

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:43 am

I am talking about changing only the rear , not the front end of the fuselage. The front end as it exists in all airliners should remain. If the rear only is changed not to taper, will there still be a huge increase in drag ?

Matt72033

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Gopal (Reply 2):
will there still be a huge increase in drag ?

yes

SlamClick

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:56 am

Hey man, how about some credit for the improvements the designers have made?

The legendary Connie...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © George Gayuski

...had no two fuselage frames the same size. It tapered from nose to waist and from waist to tail. Imagine the extra expense in jigs and dies, the extra man-hours custom fitting skin and bulb-angle to that design. No two clecos pointed in the same direction on the factory floor.

At least most jetliners after the Comet have many identical frames.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:38 am

Why not design commericial aircraft with a uniform cross section till the end ?The vertical and horizontal stabilizers could be attached to the end of the fuselage just the same. This will greatly increase the seating capacity without a significant increase in fuselage length. This will also allow cargo compartment to be installed in the aft of the airplane. Are there drag and lift factors involved ?

Chopping off a shape designed to slice through the air leads to drag since turbulence will form as the air is flowing along smoothly and all of sudden there is this empty space. Vortices will form trying to fill the empty space, and those vortices cost energy to maintain.

You will sometimes find the chopped off shape, but that's because other reasons make it a better fit despite drag:
- Cars with chopped off rears. In a station wagon or van, loading and unloading are trickier if you have a teardrop.
- Bullets and shells. The back end is flat since it needs maximum surface area on the propellant and and a teardrop shape would make sealing the barrel and tumbling issues (in the barrel) tricky.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

aeroweanie

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:22 am

Why not design commericial aircraft with a uniform cross section till the end ?

The drag would excessive, due to the large base separation.

SlamClick

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 5):
Chopping off a shape designed to slice through the air leads to drag since turbulence will form as the air is flowing along smoothly and all of sudden there is this empty space.

Which explains why raindrops aren't square.

OldAeroGuy

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:36 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 7):

Or spherical.
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

Tod

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 4):
...had no two fuselage frames the same size.

A contract engineer's dream come true.

Tod  Wink

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:26 am

clecos

Huh?
CLECO Central Louisiana Electric Co-Op
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

SlamClick

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 10):
Huh?
CLECO

Two clecos, one edge cleco and pair of cleco pliers.

They are temporary 'rivets' used in laying up a sheet metal job for riveting.

edit: It is amazing what you can learn to do when you can't find a flying job.
 Smile

[Edited 2006-07-27 23:41:31]

n8076u

Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 7):

Does a raindrop get shaped by the air like it does because it is the perfect shape, from an aerodynamic point of view?

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 10):
CLECO Central Louisiana Electric Co-Op

A google search doesn't always net the right results.  Smile I'm guessing making the stretched version of the Constellation was a pain without any constant section.

Chris
Don't blame me, I don't work here...

KELPkid

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 11):
edit: It is amazing what you can learn to do when you can't find a flying job.
Smile

Is Capt. Slam Click secretly building a Van's RV-series homebuilt these days?  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Klaus

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting OldAeroGuy (Reply 8):
Quoting SlamClick (Reply 7):Which explains why raindrops aren't square.
Or spherical.

True - but as far as I know they're actually elliptical (flattened spheres), not at all "drop-shaped" as usually imagined.

Quoting N8076U (Reply 12):
Does a raindrop get shaped by the air like it does because it is the perfect shape, from an aerodynamic point of view?

The shape is a result of multiple forces interacting: Surface tension, drag and air friction. The form is not ideal for minimal drag at all - it's closer to the opposite, in fact:

Are raindrops tear-shaped?

[Edited 2006-07-28 00:43:21]

SlamClick

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 14):
- it's closer to the opposite, in fact.

That didn't stop Sunbeam (Alpine and Tiger) from using it as an example in a ads selling their car's aerodynamics.

Klaus

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 15):
That didn't stop Sunbeam (Alpine and Tiger) from using it as an example in a ads selling their car's aerodynamics.

That just reinforces what we always knew about advertising, doesn't it? Big grin

ptrjong

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:48 am

Why doesn't a bullet taper at the end, though? Design compromise?

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 17):

First of all, the picture shows both bullet and casing. This conglomerate is often called a bullet but strictly speaking that is incorrect. It may be more correctly referred to as a round or a shell. The casing contains the propellant and the bullet is seated in the top. The bottom of the casing contains an explosive cap, which when struck by the hammer ignites the propellant. Due to this ignition, pressure increases in the casing, ejecting the bullet to travel down the barrel. The casing stays with the gun until it is ejected. So the only part that needs to be aerodynamic is the bullet. The casing just needs to be a good shape to hold the propellant and also to be handled by the firing mechanism.

Also, the picture shows low velocity ammunition. Rifle bullets are much more pointy and indeed often somewhat tapered at the back. See this pic of rifle ammunition.

However, you are correct in that the bullet itself has a flat butt and that this is the result of design compromises. This is for three reasons:
- Flat contact area means that it can be pushed uniformly by the propellant.
- Wide sides ensure gases do not escape past the bullet in the barrel.
- A teardrop shaped bullet would not travel cleanly through the barrel. It might well start tumbling before exit. Bad.

Here's nice image of shockwaves created by a bullet

If we move into the realm of very fast shells, there is one type that is tapered. It is the sabot round, typically used as tank ammunition. It is composed of a dart sitting in a holder (sabot) that falls of when it exits the barrel. The dart, typically made of tungsten, depleted uranium and other hard stuff, is much thinner than the caliber of the barrel, enabling it to travel faster and be equipped with stabilizing fins. This dart is tapered at both ends. It has no charge, depending on kinetic energy alone to kill armored vehicles.

Here's a picture of a dart at sabot separation. The illusion of a rocket exhaust is created by gases being ejected from the barrel following the sabot

[Edited 2006-07-28 01:11:51]

[Edited 2006-07-28 01:14:21]

[Edited 2006-07-28 01:15:29]

[Edited 2006-07-28 01:19:23]

[Edited 2006-07-28 01:34:08]

[Edited 2006-07-28 01:35:31]

lehpron

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:10 am

Why Should The Fuselage Taper At The End?

Aerodynamically speaking, the fuselage it is all pure drag and does not support lifting the airplane, i.e. useless. From a business sense, the fuselage is all purpose and the wings are useless because it takes (fuel) instead of giving back (revenue from payload).  Wink

The back end of things is where the drag comes from, that is why fuselages are tapered as you say. Drag like lift is speed dependent, slow objects with square ends don't suffer much due to drag, i.e. like automobiles, like those Scion vans.

Aerodynamics is everything on a plane. It figures the overall performance such as range, cruise speed and altitude. Whether you can make money out of an airplane is based on making the airplane work first. We can make your suggested airplane with a squared off tail, but it would suffer in range and speed due to the drag, so what is the point of carrying that extra stuff?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

ptrjong

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 18):

Very informative. Thanks.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 20):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 18):

Very informative. Thanks.

I've always been almost as fascinated by guns and other miltech as by aircraft. I even used to have a subscription to "Military Technology" magazine ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...-1130384-4554500?v=glance&n=599858 ). The problem is that gun boards are populated by a certain, how to put it, crowd, that tends to become rather, how to put it, political. I just want to discuss how the damned thing works in a technical way, not the rest of it. The cool thing about military technology is that it is just as extremely optimized as aviation technology.

BTW when you're ready, we can discuss caseless ammo. It's a: fascinating development. I wrote a paper on it once.

EDIT: Added some more pics and text to my earlier post. http://www.airliners.net/discussions...h_ops/read.main/161998/6/#ID161998

[Edited 2006-07-28 02:14:13]

[Edited 2006-07-28 02:15:04]

mikkel777

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:26 am

Area Rule

A google search will explain what that actually is, but Citation X and 747 are the best examples of how effective it is to control the area...

Klaus

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting Mikkel777 (Reply 22):
Area Rule

Area rule won't help you on either end of the aircraft.

As long as it has a non-zero volume (which is kind of desirable) you'll have to live with the violation of the area rule both nose and tail represent (area going from or to zero relative to the area of the wing/fuselage combination).

Area rule can only help you once you've already established the desired area to (hopefully) keep it somewhat constant between nose and tail cone.

How well that violation goes and how much drag you're "paying" for it is the question. And a completely blunt nose or tail doesn't seem to be the best solution in most cases, especially at higher speeds.

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 23):

How well that violation goes and how much drag you're "paying" for it is the question. And a completely blunt nose or tail doesn't seem to be the best solution in most cases, especially at higher speeds.

It would also seem that a beavertail may have advantages over a strict cone. Examine for example the 777 and MD-80 new variant tail. Is this a function of the effects of the empennage or would this be the case even without the empennage?

[Edited 2006-07-28 03:13:56]

Klaus

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:21 am

I guess structural manufacturing technologies and new aerodynamic findings will always lead to changes in the exact shapes... I don't know how those specific ones exactly emerged.

aeroweanie

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 19):
Aerodynamically speaking, the fuselage it is all pure drag and does not support lifting the airplane

The fuselage of an aircraft typically carries some lift. This is in part because the wing pressure distribution carries over onto the fuselage. This effect can be seen in the picture below. The color coding of the picture is that low pressures are hot colors (magenta) and high pressures are cool colors (blue).

[Edited 2006-07-28 07:35:02]

RichPhitzwell

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Would this not also be bad upon rotation? More prone to tail strikes?
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

L-188

Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:43 pm

Chopping off a shape designed to slice through the air leads to drag since turbulence will form as the air is flowing along smoothly and all of sudden there is this empty space. Vortices will form trying to fill the empty space, and those vortices cost energy to maintain.

Yup. Have you even seen a floatplane with a skiff tied to the floats? You will never see one flying for one with the bow pointed forward. this is because the square stern on most aluminum boats create the same type of vortices that would be created by squaring off the tail of an airplane. And in the case of the floatplane they create havoc with the control surfaces buffeting.

Also I would note that aircraft with rear ramps such as the C212 and C130 have more draggy tails.

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 17):

There is a lot more to bullet design and I won't repeat Starlionblue's posting. But there are bullets that are tapered at the end. They are called boattail bullets.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ptrjong

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:36 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu
View Large View Medium

Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu

The butt of the Space Shuttle looks untapered with those massive engines, to the extent that it gets faired over when transported by the 747.

I guess it only wants to kill speed when coming back from space, so massive drag isn't a problem then.

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 29):

I guess it only wants to kill speed when coming back from space, so massive drag isn't a problem then.

True. Also it's much easier to design the ass of the shuttle without a cone.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 28):
But there are bullets that are tapered at the end. They are called boattail bullets.

Indeed. But even they tend to have a flat surface at the end.

the square stern on most aluminum boats

Also a case of a design compromise. In this case for easy engine mounting.

vzlet

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:34 pm

Wunibald Kamm's work shows that a truncated taper (like the boattail bullets) produces less drag than one than continues to a fine point. (Although I assume he was concerned only with subsonic flow. I don't know if everything behaves similarly when supersonic.)
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

Bobster2

Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:05 am

Airplane fuselages look a lot like submarines. And they both stole the design from whales. Big grin Big grin
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 32):
Airplane fuselages look a lot like submarines.

At some level, fluids are fluids.

mikkel777

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:55 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 23):
Area rule can only help you once you've already established the desired area to (hopefully) keep it somewhat constant between nose and tail cone.

The area rule seeks a non-constant area between the nose and the tail, from constantly increasing to constantly decreasing.

[Edited 2006-07-29 14:57:17]

lehpron

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 26):
The fuselage of an aircraft typically carries some lift. This is in part because the wing pressure distribution carries over onto the fuselage.

I know what you mean, I guessed for traditional subsonic aircraft designs it was somewhat neglible, but whenever I mention that and associate it's own downwash (fuselage bodywash), I'm told that is not correct. Why?

Quoting Mikkel777 (Reply 34):

The picture you weblinked assumes a bi-convexoid of circular cross section; that is ideal, real airplanes are not. I would suppose that reducing wave drag is to add all area-coss-sections and be as close to that as possible.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

L-188

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:21 am

Aerodynamically speaking, the fuselage it is all pure drag and does not support lifting the airplane, i.e. useless.

Apparently nobody told the late Vincent J Burnelli.

http://www.historynet.com/ahi/bl-vincent-burnelli/

More photos
http://www.aircrash.org/burnelli/chrono1.htm
http://www.aircrash.org/burnelli/ch_cby3.htm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 29):
But there are bullets that are tapered at the end. They are called boattail bullets.

Indeed. But even they tend to have a flat surface at the end.

A Bullet also has many roles that aircraft don't have. They have to act as a movable plug in the barrel, they also have to retain their initial energy to the target and survive the shock of being accelerated from 0 to over 2-3 thousand feet per second over the course of 32 inches. And then effectively deliver that energy to a target.

OldAeroGuy

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:19 am

Aerodynamics is everything on a plane. It figures the overall performance such as range, cruise speed and altitude.

Engine TSFC and empty weight are also big players.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 36):
Apparently nobody told the late Vincent J Burnelli.

Yes, and that's why lifting body fuselages have had such a significant impact on airplane design.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:37 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 36):
A Bullet also has many roles that aircraft don't have. They have to act as a movable plug in the barrel, they also have to retain their initial energy to the target and survive the shock of being accelerated from 0 to over 2-3 thousand feet per second over the course of 32 inches. And then effectively deliver that energy to a target.

A bullet is also spinning, which provides stability. I don't thing a spinning aircraft fuselage would be very confertable.

AC320tech

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:37 am

Since were talking abou the aerodynamic effency, we might as well mention McDD's move from the pointy cone to the flat cone on the MD-80.

Klaus

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:48 am

The area rule seeks a non-constant area between the nose and the tail, from constantly increasing to constantly decreasing.

Okay; I was thinking of it from a different angle. Of yourse in reality the total change of frontal area has to be optimized.

(Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - Area Rule and Transonic Flight)

L-188

Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting OldAeroGuy (Reply 37):
Yes, and that's why lifting body fuselages have had such a significant impact on airplane design

Ever wonder why the F-14 fuselauge was shaped the way it is....cut it in half and you can clearly see the airfoil section.

OldAeroGuy

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:11 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 41):
Ever wonder why the F-14 fuselauge was shaped the way it is....cut it in half and you can clearly see the airfoil section.

Fine, but it is unpressurized and has a seating capacity of zero.

Burnelli kept pushing lifting body fuselages for passenger airplanes.

Windowseater

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:26 pm

Aerodynamically speaking, the fuselage it is all pure drag and does not support lifting the airplane, i.e. useless. From a business sense, the fuselage is all purpose and the wings are useless because it takes (fuel) instead of giving back (revenue from payload).

Interesting point !

What would be the implications of going in for a flying wing concept aircraft then, which considers both the aerodynamic as well as the payload factor ? Is this technology feasible and moreover, economical to operate ?

Thanks in advance !
'To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly is everything.' - Otto Lilienthal

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:38 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 38):

A bullet is also spinning, which provides stability.

Most rifle bullets spin. But many bullets/sheels do not. For example most mortar shells and all sabot shells do not spin. And the spin has little bearing on the need for taper.

Quoting Windowseater (Reply 43):

What would be the implications of going in for a flying wing concept aircraft then, which considers both the aerodynamic as well as the payload factor ? Is this technology feasible and moreover, economical to operate ?

Flying wings have advantages and disadvantages like everything else. From the top of my head.
Advantages:
- Lots of internal space and fuel space.
- Lots of lift in a more compact package.
Disadvantages:
- Colocation of pax/fuel.
- Evacuation issues.
- Claustrophobia on pax versions.
- High G-loads for payload (pax or cargo) far out on the span.
- Technology not optimized like tube with wings.
- Pressurization issues with a flat space.
- Gate modifications needed.

[Edited 2006-07-31 14:06:52]

[Edited 2006-07-31 14:07:07]

777236ER

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:07 am

This is a bit garbled. The boundary layer will be turbulent, regardless of whether the fuselage is tapered or not. What happens is that the flow separates, which causes a region of low pressure in the wake. Vortical flow isn't really the big problem, the increase in pressure drag is.
Your bone's got a little machine

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 45):

This is a bit garbled. The boundary layer will be turbulent, regardless of whether the fuselage is tapered or not. What happens is that the flow separates, which causes a region of low pressure in the wake. Vortical flow isn't really the big problem, the increase in pressure drag is.

Thanks for the clarification.

meister808

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:40 am

The legendary Connie had no two fuselage frames the same size. It tapered from nose to waist and from waist to tail.

So does this suggest that the Connie is one of the more 'perfect' airliner designs?

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Meister808 (Reply 47):
So does this suggest that the Connie is one of the more 'perfect' airliner designs?

In more ways that one! Big grin

Seriously, I think it illustrates how airliners are a compromise between practicality and design perfection. The Connie may have a great fuse shape, but it seems impractical to produce.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Meister808 (Reply 47):

The Connie was designed back in the days of real aircraft designers.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 48):
The Connie may have a great fuse shape, but it seems impractical to produce.

Some how Lockheed managed to build 846 of them.