jafa39

What Happens To Pre-booked Seats When A/c Changes?

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:49 am

I'm asking this because my rellies are coming over in Feb and had pre-booked seats on a 744R but now NZ1/2 is converting to 777's except at xmas.

The seating config is different on the 777 and they want to change seats to keep the whanau together...... how do most airlines handle this situation?
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

AC320tech

RE: What Happens To Pre-booked Seats When A/c Changes?

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:02 am

My best guess is that they will try to group people that booked togther, other than that I think it will be totally random. Correct me if im wrong.

SlamClick

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:20 am

Despite the administrator's promise of "airline management" expertise on this forum it's been my observation that it runs far more to the technical and operational side. I believe you'll get a prompt answer over in Civil Av. I'd recommend that you specify if you want your answer to be geared to a specific country.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

jafa39

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):
I believe you'll get a prompt answer over in Civil Av. I'd recommend that you specify if you want your answer to be geared to a specific country.

Good theory but my Civ-Av posts always end up being moved to here and then the mods get all sniffy with me for being random  Smile

I phoned Air NZ and they are cool with it, they'll re-assign seats to the requested ones FOC.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Mr AirNZ

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:55 pm

Yep, calling the airline is the wise move. Most of the time they are more than happy to help. One thing to be aware of (with Air NZ at least), you don't book a specific seat more you request one. 9/10 you will get the seat you 'booked' but there is no gurantee. Potentialy you could be moved due to various reasons.

bri2k1

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:31 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Thread starter):
how do most airlines handle this situation?

In my experience, they usually change planes at the last possible second. This results in a massive line forming behind the gate counter, a couple hundred upset passengers, and 3 or 4 very unhappy CSRs.

You're very lucky you know in advance. It should be much easier to get seat reassignments. At the very least, when the boarding passes are printed, they will have correct seat assignments, even if they're not exactly what you were looking for.
Position and hold

744rules

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:55 pm

I thinks it depends on how it is in your reservation reccord. Some people ask for a specific seat, other just ask window/aisle/movie-view/.......

AirScoot

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:11 am

The way it normally works (I'm going by SHARES/Apollo/SABRE based carriers only because I've seen it in action  Wink ) has a lot to do with the software being used by the carrier.

The seat map is compared one to one by the system. Automatic reaccommodation is done dependant on original seat assignment. If you had an aisle, it will attempt to give you an aisle. If you had a window, it will attempt to give you a window. If you have four people sitting next to each other all in the same booking, it will attempt to keep the party together.

In the event it runs out of "options" it will then go in order of frequent flyer status/fare paid (or both, dependant on the system) until it assigns all the seats it can. Anything over and above gets rejected for manual processing.

If the change of aircraft happens at the gate....

Quoting Bri2k1 (Reply 5):
In my experience, they usually change planes at the last possible second. This results in a massive line forming behind the gate counter, a couple hundred upset passengers, and 3 or 4 very unhappy CSRs.

is exactly what happens.