sbnair3022

What Are Those Moving Canopy Things Called?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:44 pm

Those Canopy things that airlines use on their smaller aircraft, like Eagle does at the Eagle terminal @ LAX, what is the technical name for those things?

THANKS!
SBNair!!

sbnair3022

RE: What Are Those Moving Canopy Things Called?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:04 pm

I couldn't find anything else, but this is what im talkin about out in LAX, in the background.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mike Walker

SBNair!!

sbnair3022

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:21 am

Does Anyone have any information that could help??
SBNair!!

Yak97

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:31 am

Do you mean the GPU (Ground Power Unit), small truck normally mounted on 4 wheels, positioned by the front of the aircraft, with a cable attaching it to the aircraft? (Can't see anything else in the photo you posted).

Outlier

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 am

I don't see what you are talking about.
Could it be they are just simply canopies that move?
Might be a manufacturer's name they go by like "Billy Rays"
"Hey Joe, move the Billy Ray's over here"

Not everything has to have some super special name you know.

Notice the things holding the plane up in your picture: called jackstands, or jacks, or stands to the common folk. Maybe NASA has some fancy engineer geek name for them like "manually actuated variable elevation tubular support structure" but all that is is a cause for confusion and time wasting.

mhodgson

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:37 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Graham Perkin

You mean those? In which case the answer is Jetbridges or Jetways. I'm not aware of a specific name for the smaller ones which link to smaller aircraft. Propways, perhaps?  Smile
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

sbnair3022

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:41 am

No, Im sorry I couldnt find any other pictures, but then I remembered Delta Connections uses them out of DFW, so Im talking aout those things that canopies that connect to the ramp rather than a jetway or dewbridge.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andre Simha

SBNair!!

Cubsrule

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:53 am

Is this the same thing DH had at Concourse A at IAD?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Outlier

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:05 am

Man I gotta tell ya, I think they are called "moving canopies" or "portable canopies" They are canopies that can be moved. CTCBMs (pronounced cutbums)

I've had a lot of projects on military bases. Acronyms, abbreviations, totally different type of English, you know?

One year I told the crew "This summer we will call traffic cones L-99s"
It took the inspector and QA guys a month or so and they finally asked "what is this L-99 thing you guys are always talking about?" "Oh I said, its a vehicular/pedestrian pathway flow control device" (we had come up with an acronym, like L-99 VePPOCoD something like that). Then I held up a cone. They laughed and being good sports adopted our terminology with great gusto. I wonder if those guys still call them that.

sbnair3022

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:07 am

I think they just built a hallway with no floor, they just built ways on the ramp, I FINALLY found a picture of exactly what i meant out in LA.

IAD:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stephen Dobbins

LAX:

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © John Muzic

What are they??
SBNair!!

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:24 am

I know what your talking about but I don't know the name. They connect passengers to the aircraft from the terminals in a walk way covered with some tarp or canopy.
No Vueling No Party

GVWOW

Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:36 am

I have actually heard of them referred to as "Tents", odly enough. I heard that Delta used to have a bewildering maze of them at ATL, but when I went there they where gone, and I could not find any information or pictures. They also have them at San Jose. My guess is that they don't have a term other than canopies, canvas tunnels, or "tents".

N353SK

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:35 am

When I landed at SJC and walked through one of those the ramper called it the "rolling tent dealy." I guess that would be your answer, maybe?

SP90

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:57 am

They have those at Dulles as well in D terminal for the RJs. Instead of being tents and canvas they were actually glass/aluminum but the ground was level with the parking stand for the jets. First time I went through there it felt so weird to be stepping out of a plane with its own air stairs and walking down onto the ramp area. I boarded the jet in LGA with the jet bridge so I didn't even realize that our plane had built in air stairs.

Only other time I actually plane/deplane from the ground with stairs was at the old HKG.

[Edited 2006-08-01 21:00:58]

mpdpilot

Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:08 am

check out this website

http://www.fmt.se/index.php?id=43

this is one company that makes a commuter connection, there are other companies but this is the one that i have found
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

deltadc9

Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:33 am

I think Anchor Industries in Evansville IN makes some of those "tents" you are referring to.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

EMBQA

Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting SBNair3022 (Thread starter):
Those Canopy things that airlines use on their smaller aircraft, like Eagle does at the Eagle terminal @ LAX, what is the technical name for those things?

It's still just called a Jetway....maybe some call it a Portable Jetway..
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"