NZ8800
Topic Author

PAPI/APAPI, Vasi T-VASI + Plasi

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:21 pm

What is the difference between a PAPI and an APAPI?
And similarly, the difference between a VASI and a T-VASI.

I know a PAPI is a more advanced and more accurate development of the VASI system - does anyone know what year each system was introduced?

Also how does a PLASI unit have both flashing and steady lights visible, depending on the glidescope?

Hadn't heard of the PLASI before this evening - is it used much?
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

bri2k1

RE: PAPI/APAPI, Vasi T-VASI + Plasi

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Here is the list of visual glideslope indicators from the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap2/aim0201.html#2-1-2

Those are the ones I learned, and I don't explicitly see any APAPI, T-VASI, or PLASI. I assume they're probably just different names for the same indicators. For example, the T-VASI is probably the "Alignment of Elements System" in section 2-1-2(e). PLASI probably stands for "Pulsating Light Approach Slope Indicator" which probably corresponds to the PVASI in the US; this is described in section 2-1-2(d). As far as the APAPI, I have no idea.
Position and hold

2H4

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:53 pm

Back in my flight team days, several of us would stand out along the edge of the runway at a small, local airport to judge precision (spot) landings.

Inevitably, when an airplane was on final approach, four jokers would walk out to the left side of the runway, stand in a perfectly-spaced row, bend over, and drop their pants.

The pilot, upon seeing four whites, would naturally correct to a shallower glideslope.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Buyantukhaa

Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 2):
Inevitably, when an airplane was on final approach, four jokers would walk out to the left side of the runway, stand in a perfectly-spaced row, bend over, and drop their pants.

The pilot, upon seeing four whites, would naturally correct to a shallower glideslope.

rotfl 
I scratch my head, therefore I am.