HAWK21M
Topic Author

Marshalling Signals - Differences.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:25 pm

Is there a difference in the Types of Marshalling Signals approved by FAA & CAA/JAA.
What Equipment code.
Worldwide.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bri2k1

RE: Marshalling Signals - Differences.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:09 pm

In the GA world, I have seen dozens of different methods of accomplishing the same thing. Some FBOs have been very professional, using lighted batons at night and the familiar airline-style hand signals. Others have used more of a point-and-poke method. In general, it's pretty easy to figure out what they want you to do, and even easier to figure out if you're not doing it -- they can get very excited in a hurry.

I've seen different airlines at the same airport use different signals. There is a list in the AIM of so-called "approved International" hand signals, but some or all of them appear to be modified according to a specific airline's SOPs.
Position and hold

kaddyuk

Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:36 pm

Minor differences occour, however as posted, its pretty obvious to the pilot what i'm asking and even clearer when i want them to stop haha!
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:07 pm

Any Links on the Net Depicting the Signs used by FAA & CAA.
I found this one.
http://www.cafes.net/thacap/Marshalling_files/frame.htm
regds
MEL

bri2k1

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:34 pm

Here's one from the AIM:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap4/aim0403.html

Scroll down to section 4-3-25. It's pretty generic though.
Position and hold

KELPkid

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:37 am

I have noticed, as a private pilot, several FBO employees cross their hands into an "X" shape while marshalling me...I usually talk to them afterwards about the proper signals  Smile . When I was an FBO employee (and I believe the AIM concurs on this matter  Wink )I was taught that that is the "emergency stop" signal. I was taught that the stop signal was to hold one's hands/light wands straight up.

The emergency stop signal should signal an immediate stop is imperative, along with an immediate shutdown, which can result in, for example, powerplants being shut down without checklists being followed, and/or a lurching stop.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

kaddyuk

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 5):
I have noticed, as a private pilot, several FBO employees cross their hands into an "X" shape while marshalling me...I usually talk to them afterwards about the proper signals . When I was an FBO employee (and I believe the AIM concurs on this matter )I was taught that that is the "emergency stop" signal. I was taught that the stop signal was to hold one's hands/light wands straight up.

The emergency stop signal should signal an immediate stop is imperative, along with an immediate shutdown, which can result in, for example, powerplants being shut down without checklists being followed, and/or a lurching stop.

The signal to stop an aircraft is to raise the hands above the head and cross them in an X. The same when controlling a Tug. Clearly indicate to the driver the above signal and he'll bring the aircraft to a stop.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

WrenchBender

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:30 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Aircraft_marshalling_signals.jpg

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

KELPkid

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting Bri2k1 (Reply 4):
Here's one from the AIM:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap4/aim0403.html

Scroll down to section 4-3-25. It's pretty generic though.

Wow, the ground marshallng signals in the AIM is much smaller than it used to be (circa early 1990's!). Looks like I may now be wrong on the stop signal...  Sad
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:59 pm

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 7):

Nice Display.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 5):
I was taught that that is the "emergency stop" signal. I was taught that the stop signal was to hold one's hands/light wands straight up.

Not for Night ops using Marshalling Torches.

regds
MEL