captaink

High Winged Aircraft

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:18 am

What is the reason for some manufacturers mounting the horizontal stabilizer at the top of the tail?

Dash 8s, ATRs etc all have high mounted wings and high mounted H. Stabilizers, so I would think it has something to do with that. But then airplanes like the C130 also has high mounted wings, but low mounted H. Stabilizers.

So what is the reason? Purely asthetics? Or is there a technical reason.
There is something special about planes....

Starlionblue

RE: High Winged Aircraft

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Captaink (Thread starter):

So what is the reason? Purely asthetics? Or is there a technical reason.

Yes. They mount them there to make the aircraft look cool  Wink

As far as I know, there are two reasons for moving the stab: engine positioning and shadowing. You don't want to be in a situation where the wing perturbs airflow over the stab and renders it ineffective.

Presumably there is a difference in the airflows between a Dash 8 and a Hercules. Perhaps the Hercules low stab is not in a position shadowed by the wing as the ATR would be.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

L-188

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 1):
As far as I know, there are two reasons for moving the stab: engine positioning and shadowing. You don't want to be in a situation where the wing perturbs airflow over the stab and renders it ineffective.

3rd reason, you don't want a ramp rat driving into it. Up there you are pretty much out of the way.

Herk doesn't have the aft side cargo door the Dash 8 or the B1900 have.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Mir

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 2):
3rd reason, you don't want a ramp rat driving into it. Up there you are pretty much out of the way.

Hmm, good point. Offhand I can't think of any common regional airliners that don't have a T-tail, apart from the Saab 340 and 2000.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Quoting L-188 (Reply 2):

Hmm, good point. Offhand I can't think of any common regional airliners that don't have a T-tail, apart from the Saab 340 and 2000.

I'm gonna guess that the SAAB 340 and 2000 don't have a cargo door in a delicate position. But then again, doesn't the ATR have a front cargo hold?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

L-188

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 4):
I'm gonna guess that the SAAB 340 and 2000 don't have a cargo door in a delicate position. But then again, doesn't the ATR have a front cargo hold

Yeah the Saabs do have the low tail and aft cargo bay, the Metro has that mid tail and the aft door.

Compared to the aerodynamics of the aircraft, arranging things to prevend ground rash is a lesser consideration, but thinking about it can prevent a lot of problems for the operators. I pointed this out to the guys you where building the Kodiak when they had it on display at last years aviation trad show in Anchorage, which is a single engined turboprop, akin to the Caravan.

They have an aft door sized to take a full sized pallet, but they hinged the door so it only xtends out to a little higher then level to the ground...an invitation for somebody to put a forklift tower in it. I told the sales reps at the show that also.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

2H4

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:30 am

Whenever possible, engineers place engines, control surfaces, and internal components as inconveniently as possible to complicate the lives of maintenance personnel.  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AC320tech

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 4):

I'm gonna guess that the SAAB 340 and 2000 don't have a cargo door in a delicate position. But then again, doesn't the ATR have a front cargo hold?

Front and a rear bulk hold.

57AZ

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:53 pm

Reason for the high wing is pretty much dictated by the intended use. You need a powerplant setup with sufficient prop clearance but everything has to be designed so that the aircraft does not require ground support at outlying stations. Therefore the cabin and hold floors must naturally be as low to the ground as possible. Ideally the hold should be low enough for someone to comfortably jump to the ground from and climb into with a small ladder. Probaby just easier to use a high wing design. Only low wing commuter types I can think of are the Saabs, the EMB 110-120, Beech 1900 series and the HS748. I believe (but am not certain) that the ATR deck sill is lower than these previously mentioned aircraft.

[Edited 2006-08-07 08:53:36]
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Zkpilot

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting Captaink (Thread starter):
But then airplanes like the C130 also has high mounted wings, but low mounted H. Stabilizers.

The herc's tail is quite highly mounted (giving room for the rear ramp) so in effect the low horz stab is effectively in a position that would be mid height on other a/c.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

BoeingOnFinal

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:16 pm

Fokker 50 har high wing, low horizontal stabilizer.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Anders Presterud

How does that work? It doesn't look like they are lined up exactly. But when it's rotating the horizontal stabilizer has to be affected by the air flow from the wings, no?
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:15 pm

Quoting BoeingOnFinal (Reply 10):

How does that work? It doesn't look like they are lined up exactly. But when it's rotating the horizontal stabilizer has to be affected by the air flow from the wings, no?

Sure it is affected. But the important thing is that the stab still has authority. Obviously that seems to be the case, or the F50 would fall out of the sky regularly.

MechEngineer

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:02 am

Quote:
Reason for the high wing is pretty much dictated by the intended use.

But nobody uses a T-tail if it can be avoided, because it adds weight compared to a conventional layout, or so I was told by the Do328 structure guys.
Heavier-than-air flying machines...

N231YE

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:48 am

I've heard that the "T" tail was more responsive, (why STOL aircraft use it more often) but could run into deep stalls on earlier aircraft, such as the British Aerospace 111.