cs03

Runway Headings At EWR,JFK,LGA

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:59 am

I am wondering why all three NYC Airports use 4/22 as the "north/south" runway and that JFK/LGA use 13/31 as "east/west". Is it because of prevailing winds, or the "norm" when they were built?

vikkyvik

RE: Runway Headings At EWR,JFK,LGA

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:42 am

Hmmm....I never really thought about the fact that all 3 NYC airports have 4/22s. BOS also does. That's 7 4/22s out of 14 runways in NYC and BOS. Cool!

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the "north/south" or "east/west" part. Those are just convenient ways to refer to and distinguish the runways from each other, as far as I know.

I would guess that in designing an airport, you'd want to align the runways with the prevailing winds, but I'm sure there are plenty of compromises, especially when considering how much land you have available (and what shape the land is), possible flight paths (noise abatement), obstacles, etc.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

IAHFLYR

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting Cs03 (Thread starter):
I am wondering why all three NYC Airports use 4/22 as the "north/south" runway and that JFK/LGA use 13/31 as "east/west". Is it because of prevailing winds, or the "norm" when they were built?

My guess is you are referring to the flow direction that each airport is using. Example, EWR north flow would be landing and departing 4L/R and maybe sneak in a 29 departure from time to time......if so that is a simple way for an AT facility to refer to direction the airport is operating. And prevailing winds are taken into consideration most times if the airport design folks are on top of their games.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

corey07850

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:03 am

When airports are constructed they survey the average winds and plot them on a "wind rose" (similar to a compass rose) that show the predominant direction the wind blows... Since runways are built in the direction best suited with the winds, I'm guessing you will see that the wind roses for each airport closely follow the 4/22 pattern. Since they are so close to each other the winds probably don't vary that much from each airport, hence the same direction of runways.

I would also assume the traffic flow for the airports plays a factor as well... 3 major airports within a few miles of each other flows a lot easier when everyone is landing/taking off parallel to each other