LH463
Topic Author

Instrument Checkride Gitters!

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:45 am

Hey Everyone,
It's currently 9:45 p.m. Eastern and I find myslef just over 11 hours from my instrument checkride. I'm not going to deny that am pretty damn nervous... Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice from past experience...

Best Regards,
LH463

P.S. Words of encouragement greatly appreciated  Wink
Turning final...

MD88Captain

RE: Instrument Checkride Gitters!

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:51 am

I always tell my my buddies, "Don't screw it up." I hope that helps.

KFLLCFII

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:01 am

The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to get a good night's sleep. Don't focus on the ride while attempting to sleep either; The excess adrenaline will only aid in keeping you awake (and possibly frustrated when you can't sleep)...the last thing you need right now is the additional stress. Just think about your girlfriend, your last vacation, whatever. Anything but the ride, to get you to bed...

Additionally, don't attempt to do any early-morning cramming; If you don't already know it by now, you're certainly not going to pick it up with only T-minus 3 or 4 hours left. Just relax, envision what you've been trained to do, and picture the examiner as nothing more than an inquisitive passenger  Wink

Last but not least...

Good Luck!!  thumbsup 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

dj1986

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:00 pm

Good Luck. If your Instructor signed you for the ride no reason you should be nervous.
US Airways I miss you!

KELPkid

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Remember your 5 T's at every fix, and you'll be fine.

Best of luck to you, and here's hoping that tomorrow you'll be the world's newest instrument pilot  Smile

Also hoping that you don't get the sadistic check airman who gives you a partial panel NDB aproach to a missed, followed by a partial panel intersection hold  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

AdamWright

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:55 pm

Quoting Dj1986 (Reply 3):
If your Instructor signed you for the ride no reason you should be nervous.

Don't listen to this guy.. everyone who is human gets butterflys to some degree before a checkride. Just go in there and get your sh*t done.

And if you screw up.. its not the end of the world. You'll just log some more time while getting the recheck done. (And i'll bet you need the time anyways.. )

-Adam

Mir

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:08 am

Do try to get some rest. It was hard for me too the night before mine, and I made a few mistakes during the flight, but I still passed.

If the plane you're flying has an autopilot, be prepared to shoot a non-precision approach with it. That kind of caught me off guard - I'd never had to do that before. But it wasn't that hard.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 4):
Also hoping that you don't get the sadistic check airman who gives you a partial panel NDB aproach to a missed, followed by a partial panel intersection hold

scared 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

corey07850

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
If the plane you're flying has an autopilot, be prepared to shoot a non-precision approach with it. That kind of caught me off guard - I'd never had to do that before. But it wasn't that hard.

No offense, but what instructor would teach a student how to fly a non-precision (or any approach for that matter) with only the autopilot?? Pretty poor instruction if your first hand flown non-precision approach was shot during your checkride IMHO

N231YE

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:33 am

May your takeoffs equal your landings

Anyways...best of luck to you.  thumbsup 

flymeariver

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:18 am

always remember to identify navaids... and when i had mine, the check examiner was acting as ATC and at one point he stopped talking, and that was supposed to mean that i lost my radio, so watch for that... luckily i caught it  Wink

N231YE

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting FlyMeARiver (Reply 9):
the check examiner was acting as ATC and at one point he stopped talking, and that was supposed to mean that i lost my radio,

I had a friend who was going for his Private Pilot...anyways, while he was on takeoff, the examiner cut the engine, to simulate a departure stall (or engine failure).

2H4

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 10):
I had a friend

on takeoff, the examiner cut the engine

So, given the past tense, did your friend not survive the checkride?  scared 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

N231YE

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):
So, given the past tense, did your friend not survive the checkride?  

He did servive  Smile, but that scared the sh*t out of him, as he wasn't expecting the examiner to get that extreme.

Mir

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:14 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 7):
No offense, but what instructor would teach a student how to fly a non-precision (or any approach for that matter) with only the autopilot?? Pretty poor instruction if your first hand flown non-precision approach was shot during your checkride IMHO

The checkride was the first one WITH the autopilot, not without. All the ones prior to that had been hand-flown.

Apologies if I worded it incorrectly.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

corey07850

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
The checkride was the first one WITH the autopilot, not without. All the ones prior to that had been hand-flown.

Apologies if I worded it incorrectly.

Nope, my fault... I was just reading too quickly

bravo45

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:36 pm

...anyways, while he was on takeoff, the examiner cut the engine, to simulate a departure stall (or engine failure).

Wow!! My examiner on both PPL and Instrument went over the procedures with me and emphasised on the fact that he will NOT simulate ANYTHING during the takeoff and landing, and should anything go wrong, I was to treat it as a real emergency. I think its fair, not to make things difficult unnecessarily but then the airport (KCBE) my checkrides were conducted at had some hills nearby making such stuff scary even when VFR let alone be flying under the hood or actual IFR.

Advice, stay cool. I decided not to post on a.net to keep myself from hearing things I may not have any idea of and thus freak out.  Smile
I hope you are familiar with your examiner since this is not your first check. I haven't had my Commerical check yet, but I think I would consider IR my greatest accomplishment, its a real confidence booster along with all the skill you get. The questions the examiner asked me were not all out of the text books and may not be the situations you have read or talked about, just answer logically (its easier to do when you are on the ground). I hope the examiner doesn't ask a lot while airborne, this check can be intense and you can't afford to be flying the plane within tolerances and be thinking about a tough question (during the check ride).
Having been certified by the same examiner both times, I have realised what he does. He begins by asking questions he expects the student to answer right in order to pass and when he is relatively satisfied (and I am satisfied by correct answers), he, I like to say 'cuts the student down to size' by asking questions he WANTS the student to have the correct answers of.
In short I feel utmost respect for my examiner and feel no hesitaion in saying that those checkrides were among the flights I learned the MOST from, so be in the same kind of a mindset, its all a learning experience and know it: Whatever the outcome may be, you will fly back a more experienced pilot. So enjoy and best of luck.

P.S Should have written it all in past tense. I see and hope you are busy celebrating right now. Do let us know how it went, probably a complete report wouldn't hurt.