Soku39
Topic Author

Cost Of Multi Time In NE Vs The South

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:01 am

The other day I was talking to a Continental Express pilot. He got all his ratings up here in NE Ohio but when it came time for him to get that ever so coveted multi time he mo,ved down to Texas for awhile as he said "multi engines are a dime a dozen down there", of course more "product", less demand, less money to rent them to get your MEI or whatever else. Now this would be back in about 93 or so, but I was wondering have things remained relatively the same or have costs caught up to those now in the NE and Midwest (if what he said wasnt fudged to begin with). (The multi stuff is 2 or 3 years down the road for me, but I figure I might as well start worrying/planning it out now.)

Thanks.
The Ohio Player

KingAirMan

RE: Cost Of Multi Time In NE Vs The South

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:39 pm

FYI , Their is a place in dallas, $1,300 dollars, for your multi engine rating. I forget the name, but a little bit of research will lead me right to it, unfortunatley i am leaving and dont have time to search it at the moment, alot of my friends/ colleauges trained ther. Whether it takes you 10 hours or 30 hours its all the same. I believe they train in Beech Travelairs ( quite a difference from the all famed "seminole trainer" ) I know right now in Indiana , an EARLY 70's model Piper Seneca 1 is going well over 200 and hour with an instructor.

Woodreau

RE: Cost Of Multi Time In NE Vs The South

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:08 am

The two places I rent from in Dallas, one rents a Travelair for $225/hr, the other place rents a Seminole for $220/hr. The place where I rented in California rents a Duchess for $170/hr (today). Their price has not gone up much - only $20 in 4 years.

The thing about renting twins (or any other airplane for that matter) is not the cost per hour, but whether you meet insurance minimums to rent. I was really spoiled by renting twins in California, their insurance only required 150TT and a multi-rating to rent a twin. So with a wet commercial multi and only 10hrs multi time, I was able to rent one and build experience flying the Duchesses all over California, Arizona and Nevada. After leaving California - I have not found any other place (where I've looked) - that will let you rent a twin for less than 500TT and a Make and model time requirement. So with over 100 multi hours but less than 500TT, I found I couldn't rent a twin in Texas without an instructor sitting next to me.

So how does that compare to Ohio?
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.