LVTMB
Topic Author

Question On MIA Departures

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:10 am

I work pretty close to MIA and get the chance to do some spotting. On departures, when the airport is configured either way, flights are assigned a heading. In the sole case of Runway 9 departures, however, when pilots are instructed to turn to the Southeast (usually 120 heading), they are instructed to make that turn at the Runway 27 middle marker, which appears to be roughly half a mile off the end of the runway. Out of curiosity, what is the reason for that procedure, as oppposed to the usual turn when reaching 600'.

MB

IAHFLYR

RE: Question On MIA Departures

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:25 am

Most turns can be started at 400'AGL unless with no restrictions in place such as noise or similar....MIA might be using the MM for a noise issue or possibly to make sure they fly runway heading to the middle marker and don't turn early or late or ATC may be using it to establish diverging headings of 15 degress from other departures.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

flymatt2bermud

RE: Question On MIA Departures

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:01 am

The turn at a Middle Marker is common at several airports with parallel runways. I do not know the exact reason but have flown similar clearances on numerous occasions. Perhaps ATC is trying to prevent a possible conflict with landing traffic on the parallel should a 'go around' be necessary. Miami also uses Runways 31/13 and it could be they want the 9/27 L or R runway departing aircraft to avoid the same potential conflict.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci