2H4
Topic Author

Light-Activated Adhesives

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:09 am

So I just got back from the dentist, where he secured a loose filling. He used two syringes...with applicator tips...no needles, thank god...and applied two different substances. He then used a strange type of flashlight to "activate" the stuff. Later, he explained that the flashlight emits a very bright "white light" to activate the sealant.

This is the first I've ever heard of light-activated sealants/adhesives. Is this technology used in the aviation industry at all? I'd love to hear more about it.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Fly2HMO

RE: Light-Activated Adhesives

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting 2H4 (Thread starter):
Is this technology used in the aviation industry at all?

Never heard of it being used. (And I've learned of pretty wacky stuff now that I'm at ERAU) Although if it was, I bet it would obviously be used for gluing composites.

Honestly though, I don't see what would be the use of light activated glues in aviation. Good 'ole two-part mixin' epoxy seems to do the job just fine Big grin

2H4
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:43 am

Interesting....thanks for the links, Richard!  Smile

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Thread starter):
He then used a strange type of flashlight to "activate" the stuff. Later, he explained that the flashlight emits a very bright "white light" to activate the sealant

http://www.pprc.org/pubs/techreviews/radiant/rcdefin.html
Thats UV light for curing the Adhesive.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

vzlet

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:13 pm

Even back at least as far as the 1970s, some brands (Carl Goldberg, for example) of trim striping tape for (flying) model planes relied on the UV present in sunlight to achieve a final adhesive cure.
-Mark
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

2H4
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):
Thats UV light for curing the Adhesive.

Thanks, Mel. Your link lists "Aircraft and aerospace structural assemblies" as applications utilizing this technology. Do you have any idea where the stuff is used, specfically, and on what materials? Is it only used on composites, or metals as well? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the stuff?

Thanks very much,

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:28 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 6):
Do you have any idea where the stuff is used, specfically

Not much details on this though from Aerospace use,apart from Maybe Composite repair.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)