JulianUK
Topic Author

Weather Radar And Air Traffic Control

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:43 am

What airports have access to their own weather radar? I live near a regional airport in the UK and they are taking their vectoring suggestions from aircraft coming into them, rather than being able to see the weather themselves - is this just restricted to major airports having their own weather radar systems and doing their own vectoring?

J

IAHFLYR

RE: Weather Radar And Air Traffic Control

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:26 am

The airport having weather radar doesn't do alot for the controller. The controllers radar like the ASR 9 does a fairly good job of providing accurate weather return, but if you are also equipped with a terminal doppler weather radar (TDWR) you can take a look at that with all the pretty colors and then go to your position of airspace and see how the ATC radar corresponds to what you just looked at on the TDWR. Hope this helps a bit.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

skyman

RE: Weather Radar And Air Traffic Control

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:48 am

Well from the most WXradar of controllers I know it is not so good and we rely on what the pilots say. It is also better because the pilot tells you where he wants to avoid anyway.