JulianUK
Topic Author

Captain Ill On Flight Deck - Ryanair Story

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:48 am

The recent turnaround of a flight after the captain collapsed http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5377238.stm got me thinking - if you have a collapsed captain must he be removed to another seat prior to the first officer doing the landing in case he comes to and is unaware of his surroundings? is there a "policy" or is it as the situation develops you see what is best?

I do hope the captain and family get better as I am sure the rest of the Airliners readers do.

J

futurecaptain

RE: Captain Ill On Flight Deck - Ryanair Story

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:04 am

I'm not familiar with where the city of Derry is, can someone clear that up? But if they were 15 minutes from it then the a/c must have already started its decent. Why did the pilot not land at Derry, is it a smaller city or what?

Now, I'm not sure about the rules, but removing the captain from the cockpit in an unconcious state could really scare the passengers. But on the other hand it seems the pax could already see what had happened so it would really be up to personal opinion imo. If you thought he would wake up suddenly and his arms would fly about perhaps hitting something then yes, have him removed if it's possible to lift him out of the seat.

So, I guess this first officer gets to log part of the flight as SIC and part as PIC, right.  Smile
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

BMED

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:56 am

Derry is in Ireland, have a look on www.ryanair.com then on the destination map. I'm guessing that the medical facilities would be easier to reach at Stansted and flight is not that long but I would have thought it would have been quicker to land at derry.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

ryanairCRL

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Quoting BMED (Reply 2):
Derry is in Ireland

be careful, you're gonna start a war here. Derry is in NORTHERN Ireland.

Procedure is to remove to crew from the F/D if he/she is unconscious, so that we can give First Aid and CPR (god bless I'll never have to do it) if need be.
But in this case, he was just ill. He probably came out of the F/D himself to be checked by doctors.

Why go back to STN ? because it's a much bigger airport with better medical facilities and I hate to say it, but you're probably right by saying that that way the aircraft wasn't grounded. But I'm sure they only made the decision to go back to STN because the doctors said it wasn't too bad, and he would be ok for the 45-50min flight back.
http://flyingtom.myphotoalbum.com

Markhkg

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting JulianUK (Thread starter):
if you have a collapsed captain must he be removed to another seat prior to the first officer doing the landing in case he comes to and is unaware of his surroundings? is there a "policy" or is it as the situation develops you see what is best?

There is a standard "crew incapacitation drill" that cabin crew and flight crew are trained on. So yes, they do recieve specific training on how to remove the incapcitated pilot, etc.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

David L

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 4):
So yes, they do recieve specific training on how to remove the incapcitated pilot, etc.

Unless he's fimly lodged in the space where the windshield used to be, of course.

Didn't the FO on that BA BAC 1-11 choose a diversion airport he was familiar with over the first recommendation due to the fact that he was going to have to land single-handedly? Admittedly it didn't involve a return to the departure airport, though.

Markhkg

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:03 am

You're right...crew incap drills are for when the pilot is still in his seat.  Wink

The accident report to the incident you are referring to is here:

http://www.avsaf.org/reports/BRITISH...0.06.10_BritishAirwaysPlc_5390.pdf
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

RichardPrice

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting David L (Reply 5):

Didn't the FO on that BA BAC 1-11 choose a diversion airport he was familiar with over the first recommendation due to the fact that he was going to have to land single-handedly? Admittedly it didn't involve a return to the departure airport, though.

Yes, he requested Gatwick but Bournemouth was closer and less busy at the time - diverting to Gatwick would have meant time being spent to clear approach which wasnt in the best interest of the aircraft at the time.

His request was mainly made because he didnt have any charts available to him, they had all been sucked out of the cockpit.

speedbirdegjj

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 7):
Yes, he requested Gatwick but Bournemouth was closer and less busy at the time - diverting to Gatwick would have meant time being spent to clear approach which wasnt in the best interest of the aircraft at the time.

His request was mainly made because he didnt have any charts available to him, they had all been sucked out of the cockpit.

He eventually chose Southampton for the divert instad of BOH as he had previous and recent experience at SOU.

hush-kit

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 1):
Why did the pilot not land at Derry

I assume the main reason why the plane returned instead of landing @ Derry is missing Ryanair's infrastructure @ Derry. It was late in the evening as far as i can remember and Ryanair would have a problem with a " missing " f/o over there. Ryaniar would have to provide a f/o within a short time (next morning) . Imo it was just the most economical decision they could make, otherwise it would mix up the turnaround of that 737.
Regards, Chris

Mastropiero

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 7):
His request was mainly made because he didn't have any charts available to him, they had all been sucked out of the cockpit.

I have a question: I can fully understand the pilot would choose to land at an airport he´s familiar with in a situation like this, however, I can´t see why not having the charts would be such a big problem. Considering how serious his situation was I would expect ATC to vector him with such precision that he could land virtually everywhere, so the pilot would only have to concentrate on flying the plane. Is that so, or am I being too simplistic about it?