fll2993

How Much Space Does A Sea Plane Need To Takeoff?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:17 am

just out of curiosity i was wondering how much water or length it takes to have a plane like this takeoff??

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1120257/M/

MCOflyer

RE: How Much Space Does A Sea Plane Need To Takeoff?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:22 am

My guess is 800ft depending on conditions.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

AirTranTUS

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:32 am

I was thinking your friend decided to get a float conversion for his 737 in case the runway was not long enough.  duck 
I love ASO!

Bobster2

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting Fll2993 (Thread starter):
how much water

937,500 gallons.

Smile
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:13 am

Depends upon weight, wind, and type of aircraft.

David L

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 3):
937,500 gallons.

And that depends on whether you're taking off with or against the tide. Conveyor belt, anyone?  duck 

Starlionblue

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting David L (Reply 5):
Conveyor belt, anyone?

What if you have some birds flying around inside?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

KELPkid

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting 113312 (Reply 4):
Depends upon weight, wind, and type of aircraft.

More than that. Depends on density altitude, crosswind component at takeoff, how the aircraft is loaded (in terms of where the CG is), and what type of takeoff the pilot is performing.

Note that the OP's picture is a Super Cub, which are, for the most part, extremely overpowered, however I'm sure being on floats erases most of the advantages Big grin

Also: it looks like the pilot is flying solo from the front seat(!). I thought Cubs had to be flown solo from the back seat due to CG considerations...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Bobster2

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:06 am

And that depends on whether you're taking off with or against the tide.

I estimated 937,500 gallons using a swimming pool calculator. No tide. Just a humongous pool.  Smile

I made the pool 5 feet deep so people could actually swim in it if they wanted. You could probably use less water if it's only for the airplane.  Smile
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

SlamClick

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 8):
You could probably use less water if it's only for the airplane.

1 gallon!

Here's how: Make a pair of V-shaped troughs fitted to the floats. Have a high-speed waterpump and distribution system. This system sprays water into the troughs just ahead of the floats, scavenges it from just behind them and redirects it to the next section just ahead. Repeat until airborne.

Back in the late sixties I watched one of these:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Malcolm I H McCrow

conducting ops in Gatun Lake and Manzanillo Bay Panama. When they took off out of Manzanillo Bay from the old Panagra ramp, they angled toward the opening in the rompeolas, the breakwater at the Caribbean end of the Panama Canal. The reason was takeoff distance. From the back of the bay straight toward the breakwater was (according to GoogleEarth) about 9500' and they were not sure they could clear the 6 - 8 foot high concrete barrier. Angling out toward the opening they had about 16000' The performance was even worse in Gatun Lake because it is fresh water - less buoyancy.

Manzanillo Bay has seen a lot of flying boat ops. I've seen pictures of Consolidated Commodores and Sikorsky S-38 and S-43 flying boats from Panam, Panagra and Uraba-Medellin Airways. There was at least one Commodore at the bottom of the bay. Never did see a picture of a Martin 130 or Boeing 314 there though.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ElpinDAB

RE: How Much Space Does A Sea Plane Need To Takeof

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:56 am

I've flown an Aviat Husky on straight floats with 200hp (which is 50hp more than the Super Cub pictured here, but besides that, same wing and basically the same plane.) It had amazing performance....with 2 people and a full tank of gas, we lifted of the water within about 5 seconds of putting in full power. I don't know how many feet that would be though... (Much better performance than the 235hp Maule I've also flown). There's also a technique you can use called a confined area takeoff. With one of these, you step taxi around the lake until you apply full power to take off. Using this technique, you could probably take that Super Cub off on a lake that's so small it would scare you. (If you knew what you were doing, that is.)

lehpron

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:02 am

And that depends on whether you're taking off with or against the tide. Conveyor belt, anyone?

Would taking off in a river rapid mean your relative velocity to the water is zero?  Wink
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

David L

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:10 am

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 11):
Would taking off in a river rapid mean your relative velocity to the water is zero?

Exactly. You could "taxi-off" downstream. You might be pushed to do anything worthwhile if you head upstream, though.  Smile

Bobster2

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:29 am

Hang some fishhooks off the pontoons and wait for a tug. Does FSX have fish? Maybe you could try it. Big grin