BreninTW

How Easy Is It To Change Config. Of A Plane?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:08 am

I'm relying on a memory of a newspaper report I read about 10 years ago, so the details might be fuzzy ...

Some senior members of the UK Royal Family flew to South Africa on a commercial BA flight (would probably have been a 744 in those days). The newspaper reported that the entire first class section of the A/C had been reserved for them. I seem to remember that it was stated that they were in the hump on the 744.

How easy is it to change the configuration of an aircraft to (for example) move FC up into the hump of a 747?

Dalmd88

RE: How Easy Is It To Change Config. Of A Plane?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:14 pm

It wouldn't take very long. The conversion for the ex Song 757 is only taking three days. That includes removing the coach seats forward of the mid door, changing the rest of the coach seat covers, changing all the signage and bulkhead wall coverings, and installing new first class seats.

Starlionblue

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Quoting Brenintw (Thread starter):
Some senior members of the UK Royal Family flew to South Africa on a commercial BA flight (would probably have been a 744 in those days). The newspaper reported that the entire first class section of the A/C had been reserved for them. I seem to remember that it was stated that they were in the hump on the 744.

As you have figured out, the First Class section is not in the hump on BA. My guess is the newspaper simply got it wrong. Lots of people automatically think first class is in the hump for some reason.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Tod

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Brenintw (Thread starter):
How easy is it to change the configuration of an aircraft

If you are basicly just juggling seats and the floor loads don't increase outside the allowables, then just a few days.

When you start moving/adding/removing lavs and galleys or adding heavier seating configurations the story changes. On major reconfigs of widebodies such as 744 and 777 it is common for the first plane of a group taking as long as 8 weeks with follow-on planes going as quick as 3-4 weeks.

Tod

RichardPrice

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:37 am

From the 'Airport' programme depicting Heathrow, I seem to remember an episode where they covered this, and that BA has some 747s that are specifically configured to be able to change to a VIP first class setup in only a couple of hours, including bringing on Her Majesties purpose designed chair.

All it essentially involved was removal of a few seats, and the bolting down of Her seat. Lesser mortals travelled in the remaining first and business class seats.