f.pier

La PAz Airport: Has It Special Features

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:21 pm

because of the elevation (4.061 m)?
At that level air should be much different than air you find at other airports.
How do engines start? How do reversers work? Can all airplane type land/take off at that altitude?

411A

RE: La PAz Airport: Has It Special Features

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:02 am

Most aircraft can operate there, with special performance data supplied, to cater for the increased altitudes.

Pilots generally wear oxy masks when operating, and then there is jet engine starting...
I can't comment about others, but the RR engines on the TriStar, which normally take quite a long while to spool up (sometimes you can nearly go out for lunch during...) at La Paz, it takes way longer...(lunch and dinner perhaps).

Indicated approach speeds are the same as at lower altitudes, but of course the TAS is higher, thus the ground speed is affected.

Takeoff weights are restricted as well.

All in all, an interesting experience.

f.pier

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:51 am

Can a 747, a 777 or a 340 land and take off fromm there?

Starlionblue

Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting F.pier (Reply 2):
Can a 747, a 777 or a 340 land and take off fromm there?

My friend flew Lufthansa 742s out of La Paz in the 80s, so sure. However the flight did not go straight to Germany but stopped somewhere else in Latin America. Quite possibly due to payload restrictions.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

LTU932

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 3):
the flight did not go straight to Germany but stopped somewhere else in Latin America.

I read in another thread that the LH LPB flight could have stopped in BOG, but for a 747, I doubt that it would bypass VVI after leaving LPB.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 3):
Quite possibly due to payload restrictions.

checkmark 

Even with a 13123 x 151 feet long runway, weight restrictions will be inevitable at LPB. It's simply a too high altitude airport to allow widebodies to fly nonstop to Europe from there. Plus, don't forget that aircraft which fly to LPB need high speed tires (possibly the 225 mph ones) due to the high ground speed and even with those, it might be easy to exceed max tire speed if the aircraft is too heavy and thus needs a longer takeoff roll.