AirWillie6475
Topic Author

Reason For This Crash

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:50 pm

If you're flying anytime soon don't watch this video. Anyways I was wondering about the cause of this crash. Maybe the woman says it so can someone translate? Some are saying overloading but others are saying control lock problems because if you look at the ailerons and elevators they're all neutral, except for the rudder which is not controlled by the control lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWC2XJYgcJU

ArmitageShanks

RE: Reason For This Crash

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:08 pm

I'd bet on overloading or improper takeoff procedures.

It seems it's wobbling back and forth- not an indication of control lock. If it were locked it would have just turned to one side and kept going.

Also, in my experience flying Cessna aircraft it would be near impossible not to notice a control lock in place.

Mir

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:10 pm

I'd tend to go with overloading. Four people on a 172 (which is what it looks like - RG model) is really iffy unless you're light on fuel. It's Colombia, so heat and high altitude may have made that problem a lot worse. I saw an oxygen bottle in the first part of the video - did they try to take that along as well?

I don't think somebody forgot to take the control lock out - it has a metal flag attached that sits right in front of the magneto switch. You'd never be able to start the engine with it installed. That assumes, of course, that they were using the standard control lock. If they weren't, they'd still get a big warning when they tested the flight controls before takeoff (assuming they did). It's also possible that there was some sort of cable malfunction behind the panel, but I'd find that unlikely.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KELPkid

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:13 pm

Seems like a lot of weight for a 182 to be handling...looks like they were doing a medical transport? Perhaps being "hot 'n high" made matters worse. Also, the pilot's directional control, well, was very poor (not that that seemed to contribute to this accident). It looks like they had trouble climbing out of ground effect.

It looks like he had ~10 degrees of flaps set, which in most Cessnas would be what you'd set for a short and/or short and soft field takeoff (a standard takeoff would be no flaps in most Cessna singles). I don't have much experience with the 182, but I seem to recall from the 210 (which I haven't flown since 1999) that a standard departure was done with 10 degrees of flaps?
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

AirWillie6475
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:14 pm

I don't really agree with overloading because the plane took off normally, if it was over loaded it would have never gained the altitude that it did. What is really puzzling is that all the control surfaces are neutral, except for the rudder. Why would the pilot add that much rudder and not correct with ailerons? It's not a 182.

[Edited 2006-10-29 07:18:53]

FrequentFlyKid

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:48 pm

Nothing about that takeoff looked normal.

AirWillie6475
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:52 pm

The actual takeoff looked normal it's just that something happened after they were airborne. The path of the aircraft is what's puzzling, that attitude would look normal if there was a strong crosswind or if the pilot was trying to slip the plane but that would require a lot of aileron and why would he slip the plane?

RichardPrice

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:25 pm

From what I recall from previous discussions on this, the cause was the girls mother, who was sat in one of the front seats. She got panicky and turned round to try and comfort her child, jamming the controls as she did so.

Buzz

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:57 pm

Hi KELPKid, Buzz here. I don't know what a C-182 uses for flaps for a minimum-roll takeoff, but most Cessnas you want to retract 'em so you clean up the wing and can accelerate.

Looks like he took off in ground effect... needed some left rudder because he was yawing. I wouldn't be surprised if the front seat passenger leaned on one of those funny foot-rests to turn around and comfort the back seat passenger.

Taking off with that much yaw, just out of ground effect... want to guess that a wing stalled? I've been taught that slips are OK, skids are not. If you stall in a slip, the high wing comes down. We slip a lot in Champs and Cubs to lose altitude. But in a skid (yaw) if you stall in a skid, one wing has more lift than the other and over the top you go... that's how we spin for fun.

Sad story.
g'day

gh123

Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:29 am

The further back the centre of gravity is the more unstable the aircraft. My guess is that they had to much weight towards the back of the cabin. The oxygen talk (and that was big) that man and a stretcher?!

My opinions is that there was not enough weight towards the front of the aircraft.

My guess. I may indeed be wrong.

EMBQA

Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Thread starter):
Anyways I was wondering about the cause of this crash.

It's been on several times before and there are several threads on this one. The aircraft was overloaded with passengers, plus all the added medical supplies. I think in the one thread I read there were 5 people on-board plus a bunch of medical supplies. They were flying out a sick child, the parents, a pilot plus a medical aid.

[Edited 2006-10-30 21:47:17]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

MDorBust

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:13 am

Overloaded, short-field take off, left ground effect too soon, stalled.

I'll look for the other threads... but... the search engine.. sooooo bad.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:23 am

Very obvious, the center of gravity (CG) was too far aft. So the actual cause was "PILOT ERROR".

gh123

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:04 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 12):
Very obvious, the center of gravity (CG) was too far aft. So the actual cause was "PILOT ERROR".

As I stated above

SB

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:08 am

Accidents are almost never caused by a single factor  Wink

My untrained eye picks up the following:

- Rapid rotation when the aircraft was apparently going too slow to take off -> Aft C. of G. combined with an overweight aircraft.
- Left wing lifted up in quite a hurry -> Strong crosswind. (The trajectory once airborne supports this)

Then there's always the passenger input theory, plausible but unconfirmed?

I'd be interested to see the accident report if/when it's published.

S.
"Confirm leave the hold and maintain 320kts?!"

L-188

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:21 pm

That guy was heavy and definately loaded aft.

Those medivac kits aren't light.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Jetlagged

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting Buzz (Reply 8):
Taking off with that much yaw, just out of ground effect... want to guess that a wing stalled? I've been taught that slips are OK, skids are not. If you stall in a slip, the high wing comes down. We slip a lot in Champs and Cubs to lose altitude. But in a skid (yaw) if you stall in a skid, one wing has more lift than the other and over the top you go... that's how we spin for fun.

Slip and skid are really the same thing. They both involve yaw (sideslip). The difference is the direction, skid is outwards from the centre of turn, slip is inwards to the centre of turn. In either case, stalling with sideslip on can cause a spin.

The safer kind of slip, as used when landing Cubs, etc. is a steady sideslip (i.e. cross control). No turning is involved either. It's a very different thing, but the name is the same.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.