visakow

New Hire Advice

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:31 am

I am getting out of the US Navy in the next month and have 12 1/2 Avionics experience. I also have an FCC w/radar. Will be living in Oak Harbor, WA. I am an limited to a reasonable commute for months after my discharge. Basically from all the members I could use some opinions/help on where I should look for work. I know the big boys like Boeing I need to apply with but am open to any decent company that is worth working for. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thanx, Vadim

QFA380

New Hire Advice

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:40 pm

This is in the wrong forum. I will suggest that this be sent over to Tech/Ops, those are your kind of guys and I can see you haven't posted there before.  Smile

Dougloid

RE: New Hire Advice

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:18 pm

It's a good idea to find something other than aviation, sad to say. Medical test equipment ought to be made for a sparky like you. The current wave of good times in the commercial aircraft business will not last. I went to A&P school in 1980 with a guy who was a UW Aeroonautical engineering grad and he was from Snohomish County where his old man had a dairy operation. He well remembered the signs on the freeway that said "Would the last person leaving Seattle please turn out the lights?"

I myself went through the last aerospace deconstruction in the early nineties. As a 40 something A&P I asked myself "What part of this do I want to repeat?" and I went and finished my BA and got a law degree.

Of all the people I met in the trade, I can only think of two people who successfully dodged all the layoffs, and they have not yet made it to 65. On the other hand, Steve worked as a roustabout in the oil patch up near Rangeley Colorado and got his collarbone broken and lost his job. He said there was nothing worse than being out of work, unable to work, and winter coming on.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

zvocio79

RE: New Hire Advice

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:14 am

do what you like and like what you do Visakov..........if you like aviation, then go for airlines, work on your A&P as well since mechanincs now a day can do both.....with that expirience you shouldnt have a problem..........but with out your A&P then is harder.
Consider some cruise line that require massive communication, navigation, weather detection devices plus everything else you know.....which are the same systems used on A/C