Ryan h
Topic Author

Aerial Sign Writing

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:53 pm

I am curious about areial sign writing in other languages than english. Has it been done as I could not imagine it being done in say chinese.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

David L

RE: Aerial Sign Writing

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:33 pm

All the sky-writing I've seen have been dot-matrix affairs so I guess if you have enough vertical dots available to you...

SlamClick

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 1):
been dot-matrix affairs

There is also the old-fashioned method with one airplane laying the lines of the letters one at a time. Not used much because normally there's just enough wind up there to ruin the first letters before the last ones get laid down.

Each line is a pass and a turn before the next line so it takes a while. Our alphabet is bad enough but some Chinese or Japanese characters would require a large number of individual "strokes" to write. Seems unlikely.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

David L

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):
There is also the old-fashioned method with one airplane laying the lines of the letters one at a time. Not used much because normally there's just enough wind up there to ruin the first letters before the last ones get laid down.

True. I just meant that it "could be done". If the question is specifically about the "real" way, I'd have had serious doubts as well. Another problem with Chinese characters is that one small mistake can result in a completely different meaning.