DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Pilots- Your Favorite FBO's To Frequent?

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:04 am

Whenever I'm planning a cross country, whether for training or just to go see the family, I always look at where I'll park the plane and buy fuel.

I usually like to stop at small ma-and-pop places, usually cheap tiedown and gas. Sometimes a no-name place is the best one. If there's a free crew car and a good restaraunt down the road I'm set. Usually the best $100 hamburger places have welcoming facilities.

I try to avoid larger FBO's that cater to the big jet operators, but neglect the piston-powered community. Signature, etc, will rape you whenever they get the chance, I think their prices are intentionally high enough to keep any GA away. I don't know how these people sleep at night.

Anyone have any good FBO's you like to stop at, or would say to avoid?

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

N231YE

RE: Pilots- Your Favorite FBO's To Frequent?

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:25 am

Hey there:

This may be helpful.

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

Just type the Airport Identifier Code (i.e. KCLE, 1G0...), and scroll down to the very bottom of the page. It identifies the FBO(s) present at the airfield, and includes comments of that FBO based on other pilots' experiences (ie prices, fuel costs, service, etc)

KELPkid

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:35 am

Good for GA:

Adventure Aviation at LRU. I used to work for their competitor on the field, and Adventure always had the superior operation  Wink Great food at the Crosswinds Grill, also...

Flightcraft at PDX. I've beat these guys up frequently when PDX was the only field that I could land at on account of weather. Other than high Avgas prices, it is a first-class operation, always welcoming, always friendly.

Cutter Aviation (all over the Soutwest USA- ELP, PHX, DVT, ABQ, MAF, and I'm sure a few other places that I've missed). They treat us GA folk like first class, and other than high fuel prices, they are very accomadating towards us...free everything, inlcuding fresh cookies  Wink

Bad:
Professional Air @ Bend, OR (until very recently, the FAA station identifier was S07, I guess they got an ICAO identifier now according to airnav: KBDN, I wonder if the BDN IATA will work in the forum mouseover  Wink ). These guys would not lend me the compressed air tank to fill up a low tire on a rented 172 (even though one of my pax was an A&P with IA authorization!). They charged me $10 (on top of the 30 gallon fuel bill I'd already paid-outrageous!) to send a lineboy out with the compressed air tank to air up the tire... a very expensive FBO, geared towards operators with money (and lots of it). I guess when the Lancair Columbia factory is on the field, you feel like you can get away with it  Sad
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:34 am

I use AirNav frequently- that's how I figgure which airports to stay away from and which to give my business to.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

N231YE

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:47 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 3):

As far as my likes/dislikes; I cannot stand Airsports Aviation (out of KBKL, KLPR, KCGF) but I do like Wood County (1G0).

SlamClick

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:26 am

I'm not going to tell you. Here's why.

The first time I went in there they hung a tag on my tiedown ring. I was expected to pay the fee before I left. I didn't.

I took the tag with me and hung it on my own wing every time I went in there for the next year. They assumed that the previous shift had tagged me. So I parked there many times and never paid a tiedown fee. I love that place - really cheap parking!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.