ANITIX87
Topic Author

Airport Depature And Approach Patterns

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:51 am

Hey, guys. I hope this is the right forum.

Is there anywhere I can find airport approach and depature pattern maps? I emphasize maps. I've found the charts that show the ILS vectors and such, but are there maps out there that show the airport and all the possible paths into and out of the airport? I have a flight plan from a CO flight out of FRA and on the back there is a topographic map with all the paths drawn on it for each runway. Anywhere to find these online? If it helps, I am looking for the airports I usuall fly into and the ones I'm close to.

JFK
EWR
LGA
GVA
ZRH
ATH
ABE

Thanks!

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

saab2000

RE: Airport Depature And Approach Patterns

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:05 am

Good question. Are you referring to the SIDs and STARs? Try Jeppesen or the FAA.gov and maybe they will have some for the US airports in question.

A smaller airport like ABE will not have a SID or STAR in all likelihood. Planes reach the last point on the ATC flight plan and are normally given radar vectors to intercept the final approach course. Same at a larger airport like JFK, even though they will have a STAR. It is also different in the US than it is in Switzerland regarding departure routes. The US is less noise sensitive and also generally has fewer terrain issues, so the departure procedures and SIDs are normally very simple and pilots are normally given a heading off the runway in order to intercept the filed route.

In other words, other than the SID and STAR charts and of course the airway charts, there are not many other printed maps. But if these are what you are looking for, try Jeppesen or the FAA for the US airports and Jeppesen for the non-US airports.
smrtrthnu

OPNLguy

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:23 am

I think about the only things you're going to find are approach plates and SIDs/STARs, and those aren't going to have any topographical features depicted on them like a map would, since they're designed for IFR use and not predicated on being able to see anything on the ground.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

71Zulu

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:47 am

Agreed. Except for the Visual Approaches with ground references noted, don't know where you can get the maps you seek. You can get the info from the approach plate and transfer it to your own map.

Check out the Expressway Visual for 31 at La Guardia.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/00289EXPRESSWAY_VIS31.PDF
Clickable links only please!

IAHFLYR

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 2):
I think about the only things you're going to find are approach plates and SIDs/STARs, and those aren't going to have any topographical features depicted on them like a map would, since they're designed for IFR use and not predicated on being able to see anything on the ground.

Not actual topographical data but Jepps and NOA charts now have elevation changes shown!

Bottom line is there are arrival routes and departure routes that can be derived from charts if all is flowing normal, but toss in thunderstorms and all that goes to hell.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.